Replacement headlights

KGcobra

Established Member
I previously refinished my headlights on my '01 but it's worn out again and I'm thinking of just replacing them this time around. Do any of these after market designs with the projectors actually improve the lighting or is it just more for appearance? I'm not looking to change the appearance, but if it offers greatly improved lighting I might consider it.

Also, from what I've been reading, it seems like the regular design after market ones don't hold up as well as the replacement Ford parts and needs the surface refinished significantly sooner...is that still the case?

Thanks

Zemedici

Established Member
It all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Budget in mind?

Reason i ask, is you can get OEM style housings (clear or tinted any way you desire) for $100 off ebay.

Can put HID / LED bulbs in the housing (please spare me the OMG NOT IN A PROJECTOR HOUSING spiel guys...) for improving light output, just make sure they’re aimed correctly.

Or you can do what i did and buy completely retrofitted housings. Custom headlights that have a BEAUTIFUL, crisp light output, looks phenomenal, etc etc. The Cadillac of headlights, if you will.

$100 for replacement housings

Or

$200 replacement housings with LED / HID kit

Or

$500 + for retrofitted projector housings with bulbs

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I’ve been through two sets of headlights on Amazon ($100) and now another 2 for CAPA certified TYC from RockAuto. All of them had quality issues (crappy weatherstripping and glue all over) and were returned.

I had the same thoughts as you - do I go projector or not. I ended up deciding that I simply wanted a new replacement set (so I can keep my originals stored away). So far I’ve struck out quality wise with the aftermarket stuff.

mschmidty

Established Member
I’ve been through two sets of headlights on Amazon ($100) and now another 2 for CAPA certified TYC from RockAuto. All of them had quality issues (crappy weatherstripping and glue all over) and were returned.

I had the same thoughts as you - do I go projector or not. I ended up deciding that I simply wanted a new replacement set (so I can keep my originals stored away). So far I’ve struck out quality wise with the aftermarket stuff.
I've had great results with Depo brand lights. Check them out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Go OEM ford replacements. Ive seen some of the bad head light kits.Not worth the money.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Does DEPO make OEM style lights for the new edge?

52merc

Established Member
I bought these from The Mustang Shop.
135457.png
Can't remember what the box said on them, but they fit and look nice. I have HIDs installed but rarely drive the car at night anymore.

The picture on the internet does not do them justice. Here they are on my car.
Headlight LR.jpg

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I ended up purchasing a oem set for $$ to avoid the hassle with aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread