Replacement front seats or seat covers

RonnieMac12

Established Member
I'm looking to replace my front seats or at least cover them. It's a 98 Cobra convertible. Black leather. It isn't terrible, just wrinkled up and there is a small hole in the driver seat. Being a vert I'd like it to look new.

Any help would be appreciated!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried seat covers on daily drivers to protect the seats. They always seem to bunch up and get out of place.

A couple years ago, I grabbed some black cloth Corbeau LG1 (newly redesigned) seats and I have to say they are super comfy. The cloth seats, actually have very little "cloth". They're nice, and super comfy for me. I'm 6', 190 lbs or so

RonnieMac12

Established Member
I've tried seat covers on daily drivers to protect the seats. They always seem to bunch up and get out of place.

A couple years ago, I grabbed some black cloth Corbeau LG1 (newly redesigned) seats and I have to say they are super comfy. The cloth seats, actually have very little "cloth". They're nice, and super comfy for me. I'm 6', 190 lbs or so
I had thought about going that route. With it being a convertible I wondered how it would look. Black leather would probably look best matching the back seats.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had thought about going that route. With it being a convertible I wondered how it would look. Black leather would probably look best matching the back seats.

They're a pretty close match with the back seat, as far as color goes.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
A couple years ago, I grabbed some black cloth Corbeau LG1
Any change in headroom with these, for better or worse?

6'4" tall guy problems, here. I've had side mounted, fixed back seats sunk virtually to the floor for years now to get more headroom but I'm getting tired of climbing in and out of so much bolstering.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Any change in headroom with these, for better or worse?

6'4" tall guy problems, here. I've had side mounted, fixed back seats sunk virtually to the floor for years now to get more headroom but I'm getting tired of climbing in and out of so much bolstering.

I want to say they are a little lower than stock. You can also get them with 1/2" taken out of the seat padding, to lower them even further.

Do you have to buy the different brackets or do they go on the stock brackets?

Yes, you need the brackets. That was what always kept me from buying the seats originally. The brackets are actually a nice piece.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I'll second Corbeaus, I replaced my seats with the Trailcats and never looked back. I would 100% recommend using their seat brackets, I tried the adapters and they just didn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_141339.jpg
    IMG_20200414_141339.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20200416_192202.jpg
    IMG_20200416_192202.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 113

RonnieMac12

Established Member
I'll second Corbeaus, I replaced my seats with the Trailcats and never looked back. I would 100% recommend using their seat brackets, I tried the adapters and they just didn't work.
Do you have a pic you can post of the seat looking straight at it? I think this is the route I'm going. I keep looking at the TMI cobra upholstery but they are for 01-04. Not sure what I would need to do to use those.
20230913_181419.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Do you have a pic you can post of the seat looking straight at it? I think this is the route I'm going. I keep looking at the TMI cobra upholstery but they are for 01-04. Not sure what I would need to do to use those.View attachment 1814400
TMI sells a seat foam kit that will fit on GT seat frames from 01 and up cars and allow the use of their skins. They're usually really cheap from a junkyard if you are interested in that route.

RonnieMac12

Established Member
TMI sells a seat foam kit that will fit on GT seat frames from 01 and up cars and allow the use of their skins. They're usually really cheap from a junkyard if you are interested in that route.
Are the GT seat frames the same as the Cobra seat frames? I have a cobra.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Are the GT seat frames the same as the Cobra seat frames? I have a cobra.
the frames are the same. Headrest and power seat controls are different. I have 04 Mach 1 seats (frames) with 03/04 Cobra style TMI upholstery in my 98 Cobra. But a GT seat will work. Just gotta swap the electrical connector for power controls on and New Edge style seat.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Do you have a pic you can post of the seat looking straight at it? I think this is the route I'm going. I keep looking at the TMI cobra upholstery but they are for 01-04. Not sure what I would need to do to use those.View attachment 1814400
Sure, this is the model that I installed in the Cobra back when I swapped the factory seats out. I think they have newer styles available too if you're looking for something a little different.
1521957_x800.webp

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Does TMI not offer anymore? Went FX1 Pro, great but not exactly comfortable after a few hours.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Yup didnt read the whole thread. Apologies

Users who are viewing this thread