Replaced stock clutch cable and firewall adjuster to BBK

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
I had some minor issues with getting into second when my car was cold and a slightly heavy clutch.
Decided to install a bbk clutch cable and firewall adjuster. Well it’s frickin heavy way to heavy too hard to push down and no spring back up . Wtf do I do ?
I’ve also noticed that a rattling noise coming from the dash or console TOB ? It’s louder now ?
Need a solution before this gets out of hand with repairs . Any advice out there ?? Almost thinking of putting back the stock cable So annoyed !! Any advice appreciated !!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hotcobra03

Established Member
remove cable,spray wd40 into cable till it runs out..

I had a super hard to push after new cable
went from rock hard to Honda easy

Comp04svt

Established Member
What clutch do you have in the car now?

Stock, or Maximum motorsports cables are the only way to go, along with using a higher end quality Fore/steeda ect. quadrant and adjuster.

Frankycheechoo

Established Member

Stock, or Maximum motorsports cables are the only way to go, along with using a higher end quality Fore/steeda ect. quadrant and adjuster.

The clutch is stock , factory.
I just wanted something that I could adjust Cus the stock one felt like it was engaging and disengaging at different spots as I drove the car harder. I would do the pull the pedal up thing but it would end up moving .
I would of figured it would be better a lighter tighter ok Cus it’s new but this is awful. Like one legged presses geeze .
So can I just use the stock cable with the bbk quadrant and fire wall adjuster?? Or just go back to stick everything?
Thanks

Comp04svt

Established Member
The clutch is stock , factory.
I just wanted something that I could adjust Cus the stock one felt like it was engaging and disengaging at different spots as I drove the car harder. I would do the pull the pedal up thing but it would end up moving .
I would of figured it would be better a lighter tighter ok Cus it’s new but this is awful. Like one legged presses geeze .
So can I just use the stock cable with the bbk quadrant and fire wall adjuster?? Or just go back to stick everything?
Thanks

Yeah, a lot of the issues with after market cables are due to how they're built. They tend to have high effort and fail quickly. MM Clutch Cable, Universal Mustang, Ford OEM, 1982-04 this explains things pretty well on why. I would either do this cable, or the stock cable they sell and modify the end to fit with the adjuster, which takes all of 2 seconds to do. The MM cable in that link is the only "after market" cable I'd ever consider using. I've always just bought factory cables from Tousley or the dealer and sniped the end of the cable.

I don't see why the bbk quadrant and adjuster wouldn't work fine with a nice cable. I just have no experience with bbk, and haven't heard of many people who use their adjusters and quadrants.

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
Yeah, a lot of the issues with after market cables are due to how they're built. They tend to have high effort and fail quickly. MM Clutch Cable, Universal Mustang, Ford OEM, 1982-04 this explains things pretty well on why. I would either do this cable, or the stock cable they sell and modify the end to fit with the adjuster, which takes all of 2 seconds to do. The MM cable in that link is the only "after market" cable I'd ever consider using. I've always just bought factory cables from Tousley or the dealer and sniped the end of the cable.

I don't see why the bbk quadrant and adjuster wouldn't work fine with a nice cable. I just have no experience with bbk, and haven't heard of many people who use their adjusters and quadrants.

Yea I hear yea . I will see if I can use MM makes sense. Thanks

hotcobra03

Established Member
not to start a cable debate.

I had snapped 2 new oem cables in a week..when 3rd was the same I did wd40
I didn't expect it to work,however it did..

Frankycheechoo

Established Member

How do you use the stock cable on a aftermarket firewall adjuster? It has that but at the end of it . Did u just snip it?

Comp04svt

Established Member
How do you use the stock cable on a aftermarket firewall adjuster? It has that but at the end of it . Did u just snip it?

Yes, you basically just take the outer collar/metal plate off the end. It should look like this when you are done.

35940421854_6f8799d384_c.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Something else to double check is the alignment of the quadrant and cable. It's best to use washers or spacers to keep the quadrant aligned. I went through two cables because the quadrant moved and the cable was riding on the sharp edge.

Users who are viewing this thread