Replaced headunit now sound quality is worse?

Wayneo

Established Member
As the title states. My factory mach460 headunit volume would not turn down so I installed a kenwood I had laying around now the sound quality sounds worse. Any input on this or should a look for a stock one? Any input would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
What harness did you use to connect the aftermarket radio? The factory tweeters are driven off the headunit and the door/rear woofers are off the factory amps, which you need the correct harness to integrate with. Are the tweeters the only thing playing currently?

Wayneo

Established Member
Forget the name of the harness, bought it off amazon for my year and model. All speakers are working but the base for the rear speakers seem over powered and the treble is really low. Tried adjusting this with the radio but just doesn’t sound as good as factory

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
You need to setup the high pass filters for the mids/tweeters and the low pass for the woofers and it will sound good again.

What are the settings? My Kenwood has the same issues as the OP, although it has been locked up at the power on disclaimer and won’t allow AGREE to be pushed on the screen. I need to bin that trash when I have more time.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
What are the settings? My Kenwood has the same issues as the OP, although it has been locked up at the power on disclaimer and won’t allow AGREE to be pushed on the screen. I need to bin that trash when I have more time.

I have my settings around 120hz for the low pass and 120hz or something around there for the high pass, I would have to go to the car and check to give you an exact answer. They're probably not the optimal settings but Im fine with it.

All you want to do is block the lower frequencies from going to the smaller mid/tweeters and block the vocals and higher notes from coming out of the woofers.

Users who are viewing this thread