Replace your steering rack bushings!

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
The best front suspension modification that I have done to date. The rubber bushings are extremely flexible. The rubber bushing flex equals to the "loose" feeling you have in your steering wheel.

I replaced mine with MM aluminum rack bushings last night. This should have been the first modification that I performed to my Cobra. I think that all mustang owners should at least replace their stock steering rack bushings with $20 urethane bushings.

The improved steering response is incredible and I am extremely happy with the modification. :rockon:

sleepless

Established Member
I just put in these aluminum bushings and am very pleased with the results. Lots of good feedback and no drawbacks that I can detect.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
03SteedaGT said:
How hard is the steering shaft to install?

I will agree on the bushings. I am very happy with mine.

Steering shaft is super easy. IIRC there is just a bolt at the bottom that holds the shaft to the notched shaft coming out of the rack and another one up top under the dash. Once you've got those out you just take it loose from the rack and then slide it out of the firewall bushing.

nightstalker865

Established Member
Trick Pony said:
Steering shaft is super easy. IIRC there is just a bolt at the bottom that holds the shaft to the notched shaft coming out of the rack and another one up top under the dash. Once you've got those out you just take it loose from the rack and then slide it out of the firewall bushing.

Thanks I might look into doing one someday.

nightstalker865

Established Member
Funny people are saying that the factory rack bushings are soft. I took mine out and could not believe how stiff they were. I did have them replaced once by FORD while the car was still under warranty. I wonder if they used an upgraded bushing? I do like the feel of the aluminum ones better though.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I believe the Cobra steering rack bushings are made from a harder rubber then the regular Mustangs.

Juruense

Banned
I installed the MM urethane rack bushings on my GT it made a big difference. I plan to go with the aluminum bushing on my Cobra that I have now. Its is actually pretty easy to change the rack bushings. I highly recommend this mod.

My GT bushings were fairly soft rubber which had started to degrade (car had 60k miles).

T.O.Snake

Established Member
If I've got creaking in the front suspension, I've heard this is due to the steering rack bushings - is this true (i.e. anyone had this experience?)_

If it IS the case, should I consider swapping to aluminum bushings, rather than just getting stock ones replaced under warranty? Will this permanently cure that problem?

Thanks!

nightstalker865

Established Member
T.O.Snake said:
If I've got creaking in the front suspension, I've heard this is due to the steering rack bushings - is this true (i.e. anyone had this experience?)_

If it IS the case, should I consider swapping to aluminum bushings, rather than just getting stock ones replaced under warranty? Will this permanently cure that problem?

Thanks!

Yes, the aluminum bushings will fix the creak and give you better feel. Win-win situation.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
You will need an alignment after installation.
You do need to make sure your tires are well balanced and that you have a good alignment. I do have a little more vibration in the steering wheel after the installation. The solid feel in my opinion offsets any little bit of increased vibration.

Juruense

Banned
You will not need an alignment after installing rack bushings.

However its always a good idea to get an alignment if you have not done it in a while...

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I did my alum. MM bushings and it took me 3 tries to get the steering wheel to be straight while I was driving straight. So, if you can take the time to "adjust" the bushings (I had quite a bit of play before I tightened them) a couple of times you may not "require" an alignment, but I would recommend one! I got a 4 wheel alignment soon after.

Oh, and it got rid of the creak that I HATED!!!! so much. ;) I love them!

P.S. I've heard the polys will creak after you put them in anyways. I have had the aluminum in for a year with nothing but happiness..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread