Replace one pice headlights to original headlights on 98 Cobra

Cobra Norway

Established Member
Hello from the other side of the "pond" =)
I have a 98 cobra with one piece LED headlights installed.
This is a link to similar headlights (can't claim that they are from AM):
Axial Mustang Black Projector Headlights - Dual LED Halo 383684 (94-98 All)
I bought the car with these installed, but I'd like to put back the originals.
After more than a few youtube vids I have learned that in order to install these one piece Axials some modificatons have to be done to fit them in. This involves cutting the the plastic that holds the original lights.
My question is this: can I just reinstall the original headlights or am I gonna have trouble due to the cut aways?
I find it easyer to ask first rather than having to do the work several times and risk working up an unhealthy bloodpressure.

I wish you all a happy easter =)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you could remove one and take a pic if what is left it would be easier to help you for sure.

Cobra Norway

Established Member
If you could remove one and take a pic if what is left it would be easier to help you for sure.
Thanks man, but I was hoping to avoid that. Given my luck in life there's sure as shit gonna be some grief down that road:( I'll link a spesific youtube vid that shows the cut outs.
Aprox 1'15'' into the vid.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
The only way to fix that would be to purchase a new header panel, which is the main piece behind the upper bumper cover where the headlights get secured.

This is what you need - which involves removing the entire bumper cover and drilling out rivets. I can’t recall if the Cobra used a Cobra specific header panel due to the unique headlights, but if so, the part in the link is what you would be seeking.

For 1994-1998 Ford Mustang Front Headlight Header Mounting Panel | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread