Repair shop recommendation, east coast including gulf?

mike69440

Established Member
Hello,
After 18 years and 106,000 miles about 85% of that at the 600 RWHP level with a basic 2.3 Whipple setup, my mint 03 Street driven 03 Cobra has an internal engine knock.
Being an old man with slow reflexes whom seldom runs the car more than moderately up thru the gears, being careless , one day last year I ran the car up an on ramp, full bore in 2nd gear, trying to keep the car pointed straight, not watching the tach, figuring my ear and butt would tell me when to shift. Misjudged and I think was at about 86-87 mph going into third. A few weeks later the knock started and I ended up parking the car. I was still working at the time (mechanical engineer) and have a lot going on in the family and living on a New Hampshire farm, so the car has bee idle for 12 months
Mostly retired now, so I do not want the car sitting there doing nothing. I've had my repair shop look at it and they are reluctant to get into it, same goes for anyone local who has experience with 03 Cobra's.
Motor needs to be dropped from bottom side, determine how bas it's hurt.
Would do a McCleod clutch and replace the T56 with a Magnum or go thru the the Tremec T56 adding a 26 spline input, upgrade the syncros, etc.
Regarding the engine fix or replace the existing or install the M-6007-A50SCB 5.0L GEN 3 ALUMINATOR SC CRATE ENGINE Ford Performance M6007A50SCB- 5.0L Aluminator Crate Engine.
Health reasons are such that this is beyond my scope and I want to do this while I still have anything left in my 401K, (Thank you Brandon).
I realize I could by a basic new sedan for what this repair will one, buy I'm attached to the car.
I could trailer the car to a shop, but not the west coast.
In my situation, any recommendations or contacts.
This is my first post in years.

Much appreciated.
Mike

Attachments

• 20210814_101709_HDR (1024x768).jpg
    20210814_101709_HDR (1024x768).jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 56

mike69440

Established Member
Hello,
After 18 years and 106,000 miles about 85% of that at the 600 RWHP level with a basic 2.3 Whipple setup, my mint 03 Street driven 03 Cobra has an internal engine knock.
Being an old man with slow reflexes whom seldom runs the car more than moderately up thru the gears, being careless , one day last year I ran the car up an on ramp, full bore in 2nd gear, trying to keep the car pointed straight, not watching the tach, figuring my ear and butt would tell me when to shift. Misjudged and I think was at about 86-87 mph going into third. A few weeks later the knock started and I ended up parking the car. I was still working at the time (mechanical engineer) and have a lot going on in the family and living on a New Hampshire farm, so the car has bee idle for 12 months
Mostly retired now, so I do not want the car sitting there doing nothing. I've had my repair shop look at it and they are reluctant to get into it, same goes for anyone local who has experience with 03 Cobra's.
Motor needs to be dropped from bottom side, determine how bas it's hurt.
Would do a McCleod clutch and replace the T56 with a Magnum or go thru the the Tremec T56 adding a 26 spline input, upgrade the syncros, etc.
Regarding the engine fix or replace the existing or install the M-6007-A50SCB 5.0L GEN 3 ALUMINATOR SC CRATE ENGINE Ford Performance M6007A50SCB- 5.0L Aluminator Crate Engine.
Health reasons are such that this is beyond my scope and I want to do this while I still have anything left in my 401K, (Thank you Brandon).
I realize I could by a basic new sedan for what this repair will one, buy I'm attached to the car.
I could trailer the car to a shop, but not the west coast.
In my situation, any recommendations or contacts.
This is my first post in years.

Much appreciated.
Mike

TP03

Established Member
If you're on the east coast I wouldn't look much further than L&M Engines in PA. I've been in contact with them for a few weeks and have nothing but good to say. I'm shipping my engine to them in Nov. for a complete rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread