Repair / Patch Rotted Windowsill

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Alright home handymen / women...

I replaced the windows in the first floor of my house due to lots of poor glazing & cracked single pane glass. The new windows went in, but on the west side of our house two of the window sills have rot in the corners. It appears to be 'salvagable' but I'm wondering what I should use to patch / repair these with.

So far I have a tub of Elmer's wood putty that I thought I'd try, but others have said epoxy is the way to go. Only about a 2 x 2" section is rotted out of one corner of each sill. Do I just buzz out the bad wood with a dremel and paste it up? Can I splice new wood into the bad section?

Any advice is welcomed- and as always, thanks! :beer:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Cut out as much of the rotted wood as posible and replace with new wood. Get yourself some of the "bondo" type stuff from Lowes or HD.

076308200527md.jpg

This stuff hardens to near rock hard consistency. Mold to shape and sand down. Fill in any gaps with silocone.

Let it dry for a day. Prime the hell out of it and paint.

Last edited:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Rock on, thanks man. The previous owners lived in our place and did virtually no maintenance. Its pathetic that someone would neglect their own house this much...

Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread