Removing Tint from side windows

KrazyCobra

Established Member
Well after I bought the car I got all the windows blacked out and the other night I was pulled over for them. The cop was nice and instead of giving me a ticket he just gave me a notice for removal. I have 10 days to remove it and bring the car to the cop shop.

Anyway, I took the tint off but there is like this glue that is still on the window and I have tried like 5 different house cleaners on it and I can't get that glue off. I mean it slowly comes off with hot water and about 500lbs of scrubbing but does anyone know if there is something that might make this easier. I mean with the water thing it will take about 2hrs a window.

03reptile

Established Member
I had to do the same to my Neice's car. Use lighter fluid to removed the sticky residue and a single edge razor blade helps to push it off into a pile so it can be removed. Worked well for me and no damage to the glass. Hope this helps you !!

Darcsun

Established Member
Best bet is to use goo gone, mixed with some water in a spray bottle. Get some 0000 fine steel wool (It's for polishing glass, and will neither scratch the glass or damage the rear defroster), peel some tint back, spray the goo gone solution and polish off the glue with the steel wool.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
you can use a single blade razor as well...that's what the tint guys normally use and what I normally use as well to get shoe polish off my windows.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Also try a cleaner with ammonia, ammonia gets rid of that glue. That sucks that you had to remove the tint. In PA they can't pull you over for just tinted windows.

BLUBYU2

Established Member
I used 3M adhesive remover. Worked Great. A heat gun works well when removing the film and most of the glue will come off with the film.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
auto parts stores sell 'tint adhesive remover'

its a little bottle of fluid that takes off the glue as if it was just dust..

Users who are viewing this thread