Removing the Trans Question.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I have been trying remove my transmission to install my new clutch and I'm stuck. The top two bolts on the trans are giving me trouble. I took the trans cross member out and tilted the motor back but I still cant get them out. The worst part it the driver's side top bolt is getting rounded off and everything I try is just making it worse. Anyone have any tips how to get them out?

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
unfortunately i dont know the difference, but when I did my T5 in my GT i had a lil trouble with those. I just let them soak in WD40 all day and night. Ive been under the cobra, and it looks like the top starter bolt is gonna be a complete pain in the ass when i do a clutch job...

make sure you are using the proper socket. In theory, you should never strip or round out a bolt if you are using the correct socket.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i don't know why people have so much trouble with this.

use a long extension from the back of the tranny and go forward. If it really causes problems, use a jack at the front of the pan.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yep, buncha long-azz extensions and maybe a swivel.

My brother helped me out, I held the socket on the bolt and he turned the rachet. That worked really well, for both removal and installation.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well I have a Griggs tubular K member so it only lets me tilt the motor back a degree or so before the back of the oil pan is resting on the main tube. I can get a socket on the bolt at eleven o clock but because the torque is being applied at an angle every time I try to loosen the bolt the socket just comes off (further rounding the head of the bolt off each time). I can't even really get to the one at one o clock. I have extensions, wobbles, joints, everything but I cant get the those two bolts off!!! :mj: How exactly do you go about it?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Yep, buncha long-azz extensions and maybe a swivel.

My brother helped me out, I held the socket on the bolt and he turned the rachet. That worked really well, for both removal and installation.

My brother might be able to help me a bit tomorrow, so hopefully he will be able to hold the extension steady while I turn.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well I tried again and cracked the walls of two sockets! Something is not right... I got some liquid wrench penetrating lube on there and will try again tomorrow but I am afraid there isn't enough bolt left to grab on to. This is not good!

bouncer18

Established Member
ok get a LONG extension.. not a bunch of extensions to make it long.. more estensions = less torque...

now.. you need to break those bolts loose right? take your 50 long etensions.. without a socket put the head of the extension on the bolt and hit it with a hammer.. this will help.. (belive me, it does for as stupid as it sounds) once you bang it hard enough a few times take the long extension (remember, you dont want 5 extensions.. you want a LONG one for torque) and then try to break it loose..

lemme know how it goes if you try my way..

p.s. use a 12 point socket

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
Same thing happened to me...........best done with a swivle. And when putting the tranny back in make sure you remove that bracket at the top of the tranny before you put it back in. It is not needed and it will just cause you a ton of trouble by getting in the way. As for the starter you only need to put 2 out of the 3 bolts back in when its re-installed. (Ford does that when they work on them)

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if worst comes to absolute worst, you can always remove the intake mani and get to them from the top. That should be a last case scenario though.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I have a 3 foot mechanics extension along with other assorted sizes. I cracked the sockets at around 90 ft/lbs of torque (and it is supposed to be at 60!). That sucker just doesn't want to come out. I did smack the bolt a bunch of times using the 3 foot extension. No luck there, and a 12 point would really round the head of the bolt off. I am hoping the penetrating lube does the trick. I'll let you know tomorrow.

I have tried wobble extensions and non-wobbles, with a U joint... I swear someone welded that bolt! I know to remove the wire holder bracket (part of the LDC mod). As for the starter that is cake especially with the tubular K member. I did it when I installed my long tubes. All 3 bolts are easy.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
I have a 3 foot mechanics extension along with other assorted sizes. I cracked the sockets at around 90 ft/lbs of torque (and it is supposed to be at 60!). That sucker just doesn't want to come out. I did smack the bolt a bunch of times using the 3 foot extension. No luck there, and a 12 point would really round the head of the bolt off. I am hoping the penetrating lube does the trick. I'll let you know tomorrow.

I have tried wobble extensions and non-wobbles, with a U joint... I swear someone welded that bolt! I know to remove the wire holder bracket (part of the LDC mod). As for the starter that is cake especially with the tubular K member. I did it when I installed my long tubes. All 3 bolts are easy.

EXACTLY THE PROBLEM I HAD! We use a swivle with extentions. Followed with a breaker bar. They do make a tool that has little hooks in it to grab the head of the bolt to dig in and get it free. Most hardware store carry it. It took me 2 hours to get the bolt out!

cobraracer46

Banned
I have a Snap on 4 foot 1/2 impact extension designed for trans work with a 1/2 inch end for an impact gun and 3/8 end to use 3/8 sockets. I use it with a 3/8 swivel impact socket and with it, I can have the trans out of the car in 1 hour. If you want to pay 80 or a 100 bucks to make trans work easier, ask your tool dealer for a " impact transmission extension" If you use 3/8 extensions, you will have a harder time busting bolts loose because you loose torque.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Snake Eyes said:

On my car those same bolts where a PITA, so I used a 3 1/2' 3/8" wobble extension and my impact gun. Since that day I have never had a problem getting the bolts out or taking other trannies out of cars. It is amazing what a impact gun will do for work like this.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i used some long extensions, and a swivel with electrical tape around it...gives you some angle, but keeps it solid for when you apply torque...

Users who are viewing this thread