Removing the tie-rod ends

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
I’ve got the cotter-pin and nut off but cant seem to get it to fall out of the socket. The instructions I have say to hammer on the top of the bolt after the nut is removed. I tried that but don’t want to get to crazy with beating in it.

DSC01707.gif

fred50stang

Established Member
Turn your castle nut upside down, screw it down until its flush with the threads. Using a sizeable hammer(I use a 48oz) give it a good sharp whack.

gx00850

Established Member
yep, you can rent those from AutoZone. Very simple and effective tool. It pains me to hear of using a hammer on the tie rod. But at least its off now!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
and, while I would never recommend using a hammer, if its all you have, you dont hit the ball joint stud, you hit the area of the knuckle where the stud goes through the hole. Eventually the harmonic vibrations will pop the stud out of the hole. you may have to reuse that ball joint, so there's no reason to mushroom the stud.

But it takes less time, less effort, and doesn't leave 'evidence of an ill-equipped technician' to use the $20 tool

I'm not sure the one bruce pictures will work on the fronts. The rears have a much meatier casting around that area becuase its aluminum instead of steel, so the rears will take the larger puller [which is actually a pitman arm puller].

I use this on the fronts:
Universal Tie Rod End Remover TOOL-3290-D - OTC7315

and this on the ball joints:
OTC Tools 6297 Ball Joint Separator OTC6297

If a hammer and a pickle fork look like the right tools for the job, you really need to rethink what you're doing. Like medicine, the first rule of auto repair is do no damage.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If a hammer and a pickle fork look like the right tools for the job, you really need to rethink what you're doing. Like medicine, the first rule of auto repair is do no damage.

John:

Correct you are. A pickle fork is fine as a removal tool only if you're replacing the joints. Otherwise they rip the bejeebers out of the boots.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread