removing swirls and scratches with OUT a PC.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Ok guys, I have a 2001 yellow mustang and it has the usual swirls and scratches...and I want to be able to remove these by hand b/c I dont have a buffer etc... I have meguires gold class wax and it dosnt do anything but its not suppose to, what would do the trick?

Am I washing the car wrong...?
All I do is hose it down then wash with turtle wax soap w/ a microfiber towel, then dry it off with a shammy (sp) then I wax the car with meguires.

What else should I be doing?

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Carnuba was(Gold class) does little for the finish on a light colored car like yellow-so Megs will do little to curb the effects of swirls. You could try SSR2.5 with a foam pad, but you will have to scrub for hours!!!
I know 3M has a hand glaze that's pretty effective w/o an orbital/rotary-and it has worked for some-but its pretty aggressive.

Buy a PC, it's an investment in power tools.

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
From what I have read on here and on autopia(detailing forum) it is going to be very difficult to remove the swirls and scratches by hand. I heard that Scratch-X does a decent job by hand. Try it out on a smaller area like the trunk lid and see if it helps. Follow it up with some polish and wax. I just purchased some Poorboys and Clearkote products from SMP that I am going to try out on mon/tues. I am sure that some of the deataling pros will post some tips. I am in the raleigh area too and have seen you post on HPJ. Good luck with the car. We should have a full week of sun and 70+ degree weather to wash cars in next week. :coolman:

Last edited:

NXGHOST

Established Member
You will not remove them for good by hand. The cost of an arm transplant would be far more than buying a Porter Cable. Try using a Polish with fillers such as Klasse AIO. This will use fillers and barely requires rubbing.

Red96Cobra6923

Blue Poison said:
3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It took mine out after the dealership washed and destroyed my paint...

ehh, im not alone on this one.

The dealer washed my car, after i specificly told them not too, and now i see swirl marks... :(

what porter cable tool are you talking about to remove scratches with?

Users who are viewing this thread