Removing Spring Isolators

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I would like ya'll's opinion on this. I've searched and found some info, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to remove my upper and lower spring isolators. I'm currently running FRPP B Springs, and have never been happy with how it sits. I have people ask me regularly at shows when I'm going to lower it.:fm: Installing these springs definately dropped the car. It sat like a 4x4 when I first got it. How much more of a drop should I expect with them out? How much worse will the car ride? Will I have alot of popping, squeaks, or vibration? I've heard of guys wrapping electrical tape around the top and bottom coils to help with this. I'm not currently running CC plates, and would rather not have to buy them. Will the additional drop make it hard to have it aligned?
Here's some pics of how it currently sits.
fc12c5c1c5392c5c88930bf5a15c7ced.jpg

d9596f43e1edfe39aa1d2f65923ba3a3.jpg

Last edited:

projectslideway

Established Member
Here is my 2 cents...

I installed generic lowering springs with no isos for four years or so. They didn't squeak much but the rears would often loudly pop when changing from reverse to a forward gear. Never bothered me too much. It did quickly chip the paint off the spring and when I removed them 2 months ago they were rusted up pretty badly (the car was even garage kept).

I just switched to American Muscle lowering springs with all new isos and rubber everywhere (needed a hair extra clearance to get into the driveway at my new house). I would never go back to no isos. My car no longer has the slammed curb appeal but it's far more practical, quiet, and comfortable. Edit: your picture didn't load last time... my car sits much like yours now.

I would say they would add about 1/4" height after everything gets settled and worn in (just a guess since I switched springs).

Last edited:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
No iso's will give you a little bit more drop, maybe .25" - .5" at the extreme. My car has no iso's in front and only tops in the rear. No sqeaks or pops.

That's one shiny laser red BTW, you sir are one helluva detailer!

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
No iso's will give you a little bit more drop, maybe .25" - .5" at the extreme. My car has no iso's in front and only tops in the rear. No sqeaks or pops.

That's one shiny laser red BTW, you sir are one helluva detailer!

Ha! yeah a good friend of mine is a helluva detailer! ;-)

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
I'm also running FRPP springs and removed my iso's last week. Instead of rigging with tape or going raw, I went to Home Depot and got little 6"x6" sheets of 1/16" rubber and cut them to shape and tossed 'em in the car. It definitely lowered it maybe .375 to .5 inch and looks good, but not too low where you cant drive it. I would like it a little lower but at the same time I still have to be careful with speed bumps like it is now.

Running 1/16" iso's isn't much ride difference from the .25" poly iso's i took out. I'm interested to see how they hold up.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I'm also running FRPP springs and removed my iso's last week. Instead of rigging with tape or going raw, I went to Home Depot and got little 6"x6" sheets of 1/16" rubber and cut them to shape and tossed 'em in the car. It definitely lowered it maybe .375 to .5 inch and looks good, but not too low where you cant drive it. I would like it a little lower but at the same time I still have to be careful with speed bumps like it is now.

Running 1/16" iso's isn't much ride difference from the .25" poly iso's i took out. I'm interested to see how they hold up.

Great info, I may try something like this. Anyone know how thick the stock isolators are?

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
I replaced the stockers with poly ones (then replaced those with the 1/16"). The stock ones on mine were ripped apart and had been flattened after 20 years. The rear poly iso's were .375" on the top and .500 on the bottom perch if it helps you any.

Users who are viewing this thread