Removing Side Scoops

03blackvert

Established Member
So, how do you remove the side scoops? I need to remove one for painting (has a scratch in it). I figured it would be in my Workshop manual, but under exterior trim it just mentions it's a trim bit but doesn't tell you how to put it on or off. My guess is you take the rear seat out, interior quarter panel off, and then there are some screws/bolts that hold it on, but that's just a guess. Who can clue me in?

03blackvert

Established Member
Straight out? Out and forward? Out and back?

I hate things that just pull out. Seems like I always break them the first time. :lol:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I have a ragtop and can clearly see inside the rear quarter panel. The scoops are held in by 3 pop-in plastic retainers. Just pull the scoop straight out... Not forward or rearward... Just straight out.

You may want to replace the retainers before re-installing the scoops... This way they won't fall off when you hit 155+.

03blackvert

Established Member
Ah ha. I just took a light and looked down in there, I see the pins now. Looks like 6 by my count though, but otherwise I do see them. Shouldn't be too hard to get out. They should put a diagram in the manual though, perhaps I'll use one of my comment cards for that. :beer:

Lomancobra

Established Member
So if someone wanted to, they could just steal my sidescoops by pulling them straight off like a lego set? Thats kind of disapointing. . . can't wait to come back to the car and find that. :shrug:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
You should see how many parts will come off your car without using any tools.

Lomancobra

Established Member
I realize this, but from the outside? That just seems ignorant. I really can't come up with many more on the exterior that do besides the valve caps and antenna. I thought I heard stories of them flying off on the highway and that they were secured with glue or something?

Heres a question. Down the road I was considering doing the sidescoop delete. How does one deal with the problem of the holes in the Quarter Panel? Would I have to order a bulitt QP?

03blackvert

Established Member
There are more than the pin holes, I can see a 2"x3" hole in the panel from the inside on my 'vert. I'll take a picture when I have the scoop off next week.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
You'd have to deal with the holes and unfinished metal.... Plus it probably wouldn't carry the cars lines very well.

The wipers come off pretty easily. All of the ornaments too. You might be able to pop off the bumper covers.... And the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread