Removing Rocker panels

70Maverick

Established Member
Apparently I am not allowed to search. I searched 6 ways from Sunday and every single search I did came back with "your search is either too long or too short" so I give up. It said the word rocker was too short or too long. I searched rocker panel, rocker molding, it says every word is too long or too short.
I also looked in the "How To" thread but I can't browse every single page and since I can't search I have no option.
How hard is it to remove the rocker panel moldings that go between the wheels? Obviously a ton of christmas tree push pins and some screws. But I see it goes under the door inside the jamb. Is there super tough double sided tape I guess inside the jamb and on the side of the quarter under the scoop? I need to have one repaired but I will leave it on the car if it's too hard to remove and put back like it was from the factory.

bubblehead93

Established Member
once you remove the front and rear screws (1 each, in the wheel well) it is just held on by push pins (at the pinch weld, near the top front and rear, and the strip inside the bottom of the door sill)... a number of places have little kits which contain replacement piece parts (American Muscle), but the rocker panel is two pieces, the kits cover the long piece, not the short extension at the front wheel well. A third kit will get you enough to cover that as well (if I remember correctly)... had to pull of both sides when I welded in my Stifflers FIT system a little while back...

r/
Andy

70Maverick

Established Member
Thank you. So the black plastic strip inside the door jamb pulls off and there are fasteners under it?

bubblehead93

Established Member
it has molded in push pins, be careful when you remove it, it is a one piece unit, if you break it, you need another one... course, it is not a unique cobra piece... so they are available...

r/
Andy

70Maverick

Established Member
awesome. Much appreciated. My last question is what about the short section on the vertical quarter panel right under the scoop. How is that attached?

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
awesome. Much appreciated. My last question is what about the short section on the vertical quarter panel right under the scoop. How is that attached?

There are two plastic clips about two inches long on the vertical edge about 1/2 inch down from the top (going from memory) directly in front of the rear wheel up to the door opening. I think each one has a single push pin in the center of the clip. Seems like there is a similar set up on the small trim piece at the front wheel but it only has one clip. It has been a few years but I think there is a cut out at the top of the clip retaining tab that allows you to slide the rocker molding straight up and off the clip. If not a well supported finger grip around the molding and a good pull will bring it straight out and off.

bubblehead93

Established Member
http://www.americanmuscle.com/rocker-molding-hardware-9904.html

the small push pins go in the pinch weld the bigger one clips into the rocker molding itself... however, there is one additional pin that clips into the molding, close to the door opening, with a round head that does not come with this kit... you can get them all separately for way less... never hurts to have these lying around...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Rocker_Panel_Moulding_Clip_p/a20663.htm

and this...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/searchresults.asp?Search=A19810

There is no good way to remove the clip from the molding with it on the car that does not risk damaging the molding mount points... use normal trim removal tools plus some strategic tape and other paint protection to locate and pry the retainers stem out of the quarter panel, three all together in the back and one in the front rocker panel extension... once you have it off, I would replace all of these clips with new ones... again one of these retainers is not included in the kit I linked above, the bottom link goes to a similar pin, need to get home after work and verify the part number...

r/
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread