Removing resonators?

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
I've been looking in to making my car louder, I have the Roush axlebacks and I like them but I want a little louder, I've been hearing on here that cat deletes or an off road x or h are extremely loud, has anyone removed the resonators with the Roushes and the cats, how does it sound?

burke985

Established Member
I had that setup without the resonators and i hated it. Roush should only be used on a bone stock car IMO. It was the worst sounding of the 4 different axel-backs that i've had on my car. It wasn't so much the volume i didn't like it was the rasp

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
So it sounds pretty lousy with an off road midpipe and with the resonators still on there?

t-ray

Established Member
I ran the roush mufflers with the resonators for a while, then had the resonators cut out. I have a video of a cold start before and after. I don't have any direct videos of before/after in the same video, but I do have some drag racing videos and you can compare for yourself.

I personally like it without the resonators.

This first video has a before/after comparison of cold starts with and without the resonators. The video was taken from the same device(phone), from the same approximate distance, a couple of days apart:
Roush vs Roush+Resonator Delete - YouTube

This second video is of a bunch of runs at a local 1/8th mile track, with the roush mufflers WITH the resonators still in place.
Lassiter Mountain 2011 Mustang 5.0 - YouTube

This third video is of some runs at a local 1/4 track, with the roush mufflers and WITHOUT the resonators. So this can serve as a before/after comparison. The same camera was used to videos #2 and #3, although from different distances:
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 @ Montgomery Motorsports Park - YouTube

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
Thanks guys, those sound good to me, I think im leaning towards an off road xpipe instead of just the deletes.

corysmach1

Established Member
Im thinking about an off road h pipe with roush axleback and no resonators and yes i know it will be loud. My 2nd choice would be off road x pipe with kooks axleback and no resonators.

jason004

Established Member
Get rid of the Roush.. Get you some Bassani with Hearthrobe pipes with H-pipe.. Best sound out there. Queit when you want it but loud when your on it

Users who are viewing this thread