Removing PCV from KB 96 Cobra

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I removed my kb over the weekend to get the intake polished and noticed oil in the case. I first thought I might have a rotor seal leak, but noticed it's engine oil. I pulled the hose running from the pcv valve to the kb intake and seen where oil was in the hose. Instead of adding a catch can to the pcv line, can I just cap off the hole in the intake, and install a push in filter in the valve cover? Will this cause a check engine light?

laddanator

Established Member
I removed my kb over the weekend to get the intake polished and noticed oil in the case. I first thought I might have a rotor seal leak, but noticed it's engine oil. I pulled the hose running from the pcv valve to the kb intake and seen where oil was in the hose. Instead of adding a catch can to the pcv line, can I just cap off the hole in the intake, and install a push in filter in the valve cover? Will this cause a check engine light?

Yes, I have two push in filters on mine and it's fine. I also have a nice catch can, just haven't had time to install it.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Yes, I have two push in filters on mine and it's fine. I also have a nice catch can, just haven't had time to install it.

Ok thanks. I'm just thinking I don't want the extra clutter of a catch can. What kind of filters do you have and where did you get them?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Ok thanks. I'm just thinking I don't want the extra clutter of a catch can. What kind of filters do you have and where did you get them?

I have two push in filters on mine (these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-62-1030/overview/ ). They work fine. All you need is a filter that will fit height and width wise and has a 3/4" push-in nipple.

I used to have a vented catch-can on the car that I had mounted in the passenger fender up by the front bumper. It also worked well but I chose to switch to the filters because the clutter from the lines going to the can became annoying to work around and, to me the filters are a cleaner look.

odmarco

Established Member
Given that you are now force feeding the car would the PCV be obsolete since it was designed for a NA engine? For example - my SVO had a generic PCV that was installed by the previous owner and when i started tracking it i never thought about it and it was causing a bunch of blowby oil to go into the intake b/c i was running at ~17PSI for 70 seconds each lap. I had to make a mad dash during a track event to the local parts store to get a PCV for a turbo 2.3L engine and it fixed my issue. The PCV i had was for a NA 2.3.

Perhaps try and install the PCV from a 2003 cobra? not sure if it the same size but the PCV on my 97 cobra externally looks the same as my 2.3L turbo PCV.

Last edited:

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I have two push in filters on mine (these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-62-1030/overview/ ). They work fine. All you need is a filter that will fit height and width wise and has a 3/4" push-in nipple.

I used to have a vented catch-can on the car that I had mounted in the passenger fender up by the front bumper. It also worked well but I chose to switch to the filters because the clutter from the lines going to the can became annoying to work around and, to me the filters are a cleaner look.

Thank you for the info! I'm going to order two of these filters today.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Given that you are now force feeding the car would the PCV be obsolete since it was designed for a NA engine? For example - my SVO had a generic PCV that was installed by the previous owner and when i started tracking it i never thought about it and it was causing a bunch of blowby oil to go into the intake b/c i was running at ~17PSI for 70 seconds each lap. I had to make a mad dash during a track event to the local parts store to get a PCV for a turbo 2.3L engine and it fixed my issue. The PCV i had was for a NA 2.3.

Perhaps try and install the PCV from a 2003 cobra? not sure if it the same size but the PCV on my 97 cobra externally looks the same as my 2.3L turbo PCV.

If the filters don't work for me, I'll try this instead. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread