Removing oil sending unit?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I don't know it is different on a 5 liter pan, but on a 4.6 you just unplug the harness connection, put a wrench on the sensor and it twists out.

-edit- Sure looks like it works the same on a 5 liter anyway...

pan.jpg

Last edited:

SVTContique

Yea it just screws out. Really simple to replace.

Watch the connector though, the metal inside the plug is brittle as hell and will snap easily. Mine snapped off and now my stock gauge dosent read anything... I need to fix that this year.

ballx4xlife

Established Member
Yea it just screws out. Really simple to replace.

Watch the connector though, the metal inside the plug is brittle as hell and will snap easily. Mine snapped off and now my stock gauge dosent read anything... I need to fix that this year.

I cant get mine loose. Ive worked at it for a while. I tried a wrench on it and a large pair of pliers almost like for plumbing. I just cant get it loose. Ive sprayed some WD40 on it but nothing. Any other suggestions? I dont want to beat the thing up.

SVTContique

I cant get mine loose. Ive worked at it for a while. I tried a wrench on it and a large pair of pliers almost like for plumbing. I just cant get it loose. Ive sprayed some WD40 on it but nothing. Any other suggestions? I dont want to beat the thing up.

They can be on there pretty good. Keep trying. You will get it off eventually.

CJK440

Established Member
WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. Use the proper juice when trying to removed seized hardware. But in your case, the sender should have some sealant around the threads that should prevent it from seizing. There is something wrong. It should take much effort at all.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Probably just old sealant. You probably need an oil sender socket as they are shaped funny and won't let a regular socket on, and I'd heat the thread area with a propane torch a little bit, it will liquify the sealant and make it come out easily :)

VMC

Established Member
An oil pressure sending unit socket will make it much easier when used with a good size 1/2 inch breaker bar. They sell them at all the autozones, etc.

ballx4xlife

Established Member
thanks guys, i had to break off the brass threaded stud piece so i could get a 1 1/16" socket with a 1/2" drive. Pepboys sold new ones for 7 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread