Removing name from title of vehicle

draxxus131

Established Member
So hypothetically speaking, let's say a family member forged my name for the title ownership of a vehicle in the state of California. I presume I could just go into the DMV/AAA and remove my name from the title of the vehicle as I so please WITHOUT having to transfer ownership of said vehicle, even though the insurance is under a different name? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I really need some guidance in a situation like this. I assume I would have to bring the pink slip into the DMV/AAA offices to have removal of my name processed. Are there any special catches to a situation like this. I'm not trying to escalate this matter anymore than it already has, I'm just trying to rid my name in the future of any wrong doing on a certain someone's part. :mj::xpl:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Contact your local DMV/AAA or whoever handles the titling of a vehicle. They can give you more insight with your situation.

Technically, if your name was forged, then your family member has committed a felony, and they may look into the matter further.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If your name is on the title, sell it. Thank your relative for the financial windfall later.

wallie40

Established Member
^^ HAHA!! I went thru something very similar, and i asked the same question. My family member ended up going to jail for selling my car (forging my name on the title and bill of sale, even had a notary for the bill of sale) to themselves. It was across state lines and i had to work with local law enforcement to get finger print samples, writing samples.... It was a mess. My family member ended up in jail. The crap part was.. if they would have asked i would have just given them the car or sold it to them dirt cheap. Family is Family..... Just remember, once you start the process and someone did something illegal, its hard to stop it.

If you are on the title, just sell it.. Get out, walk away..

Best of luck.

-Paul

Last edited:

Rings

Established Member
Contact your local DMV/AAA or whoever handles the titling of a vehicle. They can give you more insight with your situation.

Technically, if your name was forged, then your family member has committed a felony, and they may look into the matter further.

Best idea!

I know first hand(wife works for a tag office) how difficult this Ish is and that every state does things differently.

Good luck.

Is it: your name AND their name on title OR
your name OR their name

And means you BOTH have to be present to sell, OR means sell it and walk away richer

draxxus131

Established Member
I am the sole title owner, but the person mentioned is paying insurance.

I am really trying to refrain from getting another ticket in my name, nor do I want to send this person to jail for a stupid thing like this, even though they are a moron!

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I am the sole title owner, but the person mentioned is paying insurance.

I am really trying to refrain from getting another ticket in my name, nor do I want to send this person to jail for a stupid thing like this, even though they are a moron!

I would go to DMV and have it taken care of ASAP.

You don't want to get caught up in some something because of said relative especially if you feel that way about him or her.

Users who are viewing this thread