removing lower pulley with engine out of car

1fastfalcon

Established Member
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the lower pulley while the motor is out of the car. I do know it is reverse threads and the pulley has to turn . Any one done this

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Ive done this. I made a "lock bar" out of some angle iron i had laying around and bolted it to the crank. Then i spun the engine over till the bar hit the ground thus making it stop the crank from spinning. Then i used a breaker bar, with about 3-4ft pipe on it and had 2 people pretty much bouncing on the bar and it eventually snapped loose. Its not going to cooperate, and when it does come loose, be prepared for a loud breaking noise like you just snapped a piece of metal in half.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Motor out is easy..lock crank shaft on back..if no flywheel..use bolts in crank..

proper tool goes where starter is..locks fly wheel..

if trans is still connected..use driveshaft to hold trans..large pipe wrench to hold ..

oldmodman

Established Member
My method with the engine out and no clutch was just as was already said.

I made a tool out of steel strapping that went from two of the bolt holes in the crank and one of the bell housing bolt holes on the back of the block. That locked the crank.

Then I heated the very center of the allen hole in the end of the lower pulley. Once it was heated the pulley came off with very little force. But it did take quite a bit of heat to melt the factory epoxy looking threadlock.

And I was using a little hand held propane torch to do the heating. And I did keep track of how much heat was getting out into the pulley. Not very much at all. I only saw 155 degrees out where the rubber bushings are so they were not damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread