Removing Lower Crank Pulley w/ Engine & Trans out of car

Planter

Banned
here's how we did it!

if you pull your engine and transmission and you forgot to remove the crank pulley while it was in the car, fear not, here lies the answer.

with the engine on the ground, put the drive shaft in the transmission, remove the u-joints from the driveshaft and put a breaker bar in the loop on the driveshaft where the u-joints went, and then park your car with the tire on the breaker bar. make sure the transmission is in 4th gear, take your h14 allen wrench socket, and breaker bar, put a cheater bar pipe on the handle, and start turning clockwise until it comes off. that's it. it will come off very easily.

if you don't do it, you'll not only be breaking 1/2" breaker bars (we went through 2 of them) you'll be fighting yourself and the crank pulley, because there is nothing to keep the crank from not moving, so you have to immobilize the input shaft on the transmission, and this gives you leverage to get the lower crank pulley for the supercharger free from the crank. Then with an 18" deep well remove the bolt that holds your dampener on. use a pulley puller tool from Advanced, and remove the damper from the crankshaft and then the 2nd crank pulley should come right off.

i hope this helps someone else, because we spent almost 2 days fighting it before we figured it out.

IMG_1703.gif

IMG_1704.gif

IMG_1705.gif

IMG_1706.gif

IMG_1707.gif

Last edited:

stangaholic280

Established Member
Haha, way to get creative!!

I know my crank pulley was a pain. It ended up snapping a craftsman adapter in half. We had to go to a 24" high quality Snap-On breaker bar and socket to finally get it to snap...and when it did I almost went through the car lol! 4

iwhine03

Banned
i also got mine off while the engine was out of the car. i honestly cant remember what tools i used but im pretty sure it was a craftsman breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on the end of it.

to keep it from spinning, we just "wedged" something behind the harmonic balancer so it would keep ONLY the harmonic balancer from spinning. then with some muscle, the lower s/c pulley came right off. it was pretty easy once we figured it out. but figuring it out took us a good hour or so and there were 3 of us

RussZTT

Established Member
Very creatave. While the engine is on the stand, you can put the flywheel bolts in the back of the crank, then use a crow bar to put in between the bolts, and use the stand to wedge it.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
how did you pull the mtr and trans? did you drop it out the bottom of the car on a lift?via the k memebr too/im fixing to have to pull mine,ido have a car ligt at the house,so what way is better ?thanks good luck with what u r doing? what r u doing btw?

RussZTT

Established Member
I started to drop mine through the bottom. As I was still trying to do it, I could of already pulled it from the top so thats just what I did. To much a PITA to drop it.

Planter

Banned
how did you pull the mtr and trans? did you drop it out the bottom of the car on a lift?via the k memebr too/im fixing to have to pull mine,ido have a car ligt at the house,so what way is better ?thanks good luck with what u r doing? what r u doing btw?

jack the car up as high as you can get it and put jackstands under it. take the front bumper off, and use a big ass rope and tie it around the front of the end of the car. attach the cherry picker to the rope lift the car up as high as you can get it, set jackstands under the front end. make sure everything's disconnected from the a/c compressor and power steering pump, and all of the heater core hoses, and fuel lines. then disconnect the rope, and attach the cherry picker w/ load leveler to the engine. take the wheels and tires and brakes off the front. put a rolling flat furniture dolly underneath the k-member. drop the 8 k-member bolts, then slowly drop the k-member and engine on the rolling dolly, and then roll the engine out from under the car.

goes back in, in reverse. getting it back in is easier than getting it out.

had to do some head work, new gaskets etc.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
quick question on you second to last picture, to the last picture. that 18mm bolt in the middle of the last pully, is it left loosy righty tighty? or the opposite like the allen was..

Planter

Banned
quick question on you second to last picture, to the last picture. that 18mm bolt in the middle of the last pully, is it left loosy righty tighty? or the opposite like the allen was..

2nd pulley is not the same as the first one. so it's left loosy, righty tighty.

Users who are viewing this thread