Removing Isolators, '04 Cobra

SF4.6GT

Mr. Drove Them All
Established Member
I bought the car a few weeks ago and it came with H&R Race springs. Well needless to say these do not sit low enough for me. I was wondering if anyone had experience with how much drop i would actually get out of getting rid of the isolators. And no i dont have the stock springs, or i would hack them up haha

Thanks guys!

Here is a picture of my car now

003-2.jpg

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
beautiful car. each ISO removed will drop the car about 1/4 of an inch. that is if it has all of the stock ones in. If for some reason it has MM ISO's you will be looking at a little more drop.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
8 ISO's total. there will be one at the top and bottom of each springs.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My suggestion is a more expensive route: you could go with Eibach Pro-Kits and MM isolators top & bottom, front & rear. I'm at a 1 finger fender gap front and a 2.5 finger fender gap rear. That way you're lower & can keep all 8 isos for maximum ride quality/noise reduction/whatever the hell they do! :banana:

hunterp

Established Member
I wouldn't do it, but to each their own. You will get noise from the metal on metal contact. Probably just means I'm getting old that I want my parts to perform without making a racket :)

SpectorV

Established Member
yea odd the car sits that high with H&R race... I would wonder if it has poly isolators instead of just the OEM ones?

SF4.6GT

Mr. Drove Them All
Established Member
Thats kind of what i thought but who knows. Im going to put it on the lift Thursday and we will know for sure lol

Ukfox89

Established Member
i have H&R race springs on my car with the same wheel set up and i have the front bottom isos removed and the rear top isos removed and the car looks PERFECT. IMO. ill post pictures later. no tire rubbing with 315 out back, and looks killer. not to low but low enough for that mean terminator stance. and i have no sqweaking or noise form the springs. and the car handles great also.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
If you're going to remove the isos I would only remove the lower isos. If you remove the uppers then you will most likely get metal to metal noise. I have sportlines on my IRS equipped 96 cobra with the the lower isos out in the front and had the rear lower isos out also but the car was way too low so I put them back in. I never had any noise issues with the uppers in place and lowers out.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If you're going to remove the isos I would only remove the lower isos. If you remove the uppers then you will most likely get metal to metal noise. I have sportlines on my IRS equipped 96 cobra with the the lower isos out in the front and had the rear lower isos out also but the car was way too low so I put them back in. I never had any noise issues with the uppers in place and lowers out.

Removing the LOWER isolators is not the way to go. It is the rubbing of the bare spring against the articulating control arms that will cause "noise", especially with the IRS.

I have the 2000 R springs in my car and have no upper isolators, but rather than using the thick OEM lower isolators, I slipped 3/4" ID heater hose over the lower coil of each spring - NO noise at all. Perfect stance for my tastes as well.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^^I've been running no lower ISOS for years and didn't notice a difference in ride quality and no noise either. I've had the suspension apart a few times and the springs and control arm buckets are fine, no unusual wear on them.

If the op wants he can wrap the bottom coil in black electric tape for peace of mind.

Now, I've removed the upper isos from friends mustangs bc they want to go lower and I always try to persuade them not to but in the end its their car...well they experience metal to metal noises in the rear from the axle binding on speed bumps, driveways, etc.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You are talking SRA, I'm talking IRS. If you ever pull springs from an IRS where there are no lower isolators, the bottom coil will be pretty beat up. Not as bad in the front, but they still get somewhat worn.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^^I have an IRS in my 96...I'm talking IRS, I've ran no lower isos in my car ever since I installed the IRS 3 years ago, no issues with noise or springs getting worn out/beat up. I've done 6 spring swaps on 6 IRS equipped cobra's/mach's/gt's, only two of them wanted the lower isos in and the rest wanted the lower isos out. None of them had any noise issues. I've taken out the springs on two of them to do bushing replacement and the springs looked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread