Removing Front Brake Pads??

MongoCobra

Established Member
Was taking the brakes apart to paint the rotors this weekend and got a little afraid of playing with the set up. On the fronts, it looks like the pads are held in by a sring or clamp at the bottom end. is there a special tool to remove this part of the pads? I know there is a special tool to turn in the rear pistons, i'll get that this coming in weekend. are there any threads that go through the pad changing procedure? did a search and found some spotty info

thanks for the help

bborder

Established Member
Just remove the E-Clip on the inside lower/rear part of the caliper, remove the washer and pull out the pin. Make sure not to mangle the E-Clip because it will need to be re-installed. I usually have good luck with a pair of needle nose pliers.

The pads and caliper will now rotate forward and up out of the caliper bracket. Remove the outside brake pad. If you're replacing the pads with new ones, you'll need to compress the pistons by using a C-Clamp against the old pad and the backside of the caliper until they are fully seated. If, however, you're not changing pads but just needed to get the caliper out to paint it, then simply remove the pads, paint the caliper and re-install.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Pickup a Haynes manual at a local parts store they are only about 10 dollars and have really good pic and instructions. The front brake setup hasn't changed since the 96 model

Users who are viewing this thread