Removing fine scratches from auto glass?

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
I have some scratches on some of the glass on my L.
Most would never notice it but I do and I dont like it.
I have read about using "jewelers rouge" which is some kind of jewelery compound. Seems to be a quick, easy and cheap fix.
Do any of you experts agree with this or just like to hear some opinions before I go and make more scratches.....NOT:rolling:

oldmodman

Established Member
I bought a pound of Cerium Oxide and a felt bob and used a drill to polish the glass. it takes a REALLY LONG TIME and if the scratches were really deep it can cause waviness in the glass.

Here are some links to glass polishing.

Glass Polishing by Machine - Defect Correction - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

And here is what I posted on a detailing forum years ago

I have used ceruim oxide for it's original intended purpose, which is doing the final figuring of astronomical mirrors. And I have also used it on badly scratched automotive glass. To use it on car glass make a thick slurry of the powdered cerium oxide and water. Then use a hard felt bob in a drill motor to do the polishing. Here's a source of the felt bobs Caswell Inc. - Felt Bobs

Just remember, that just like polishing out a scratch in paint, you are removing glass down to the level of the bottom of the scratch. The difference is that with paint you are worried about going through the clearcoat, but in glass you should worry about removing so much that you make a distortion in the glass. If you have a junk piece of auto glass you should put a representative type of scratch into it then polish it out.

But first, one question. Do you have optical grade or industrial grade? Optical grade is 99.9% pure while industrial is 90% I have never used anything but the optical grade. When I worked for Zeiss I would use it to repair old, no longer available optical glass to a usable figure, before optical recoating.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
thanks for all the info modman, im not certain i want to tackle this and fudge the glass up more.....Ill update when i decide how to remedy it.

Users who are viewing this thread