Removing engine build label and Snake plate

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the engine build tag from the passenger side valve cover and the snake logo plate from the intake top hat? I am going to have the valve covers and top hat polished and show chromed but want to remove the tags undamaged. What kind of adhesive should be used to reattach them?
Thanks

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
The snake logo on the intake just pulls off. It's attached with a foam tape sort of adhesive. Just be careful not to bend severely it as it is quite soft metal.

I can't comment as to the engine builder tag as my car is a 96 and had the sticker, but I would imagine it's probably attached the same as the intake plaque.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Just replace the snake on top.. for the engine builder I removed mine very slowly with a razorblade and superglue to reinstall. I was never able to get the snake up without damaging it.

Cobra52898

Established Member
Just replace the snake on top.. for the engine builder I removed mine very slowly with a razorblade and superglue to reinstall. I was never able to get the snake up without damaging it.
I guess a new one can be purchased from the parts dept at any Ford dealership?

Cobra52898

Established Member
How expensive are new covers to avoid the risk all together ?
I haven't seen them for sale very often but it seems like they are fairly expensive. The intake manifold hat is really tough to find and usually sell quickly. At least that has been my experience.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Heat gun on engine label may lift adhesive w/ the label itself. Start one corner w/ single edge blade and take your time.If adhesive is lifting w/ label ,dont let it curl and stick to itself or it probably wont come apart.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I personally have powdercoated valve covers and intake so with mine I used a piece of string to get underneath the plaques and "sawed" them off with it so as not to damage the powder (like I would have done with a razor). I reattached both of them with the orange silicone and holds great with the ability to take it back off with ease if needed.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Snake Plaque: $5.95
Ford Engine Dress Up Parts
or
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1447D46/Ford-Racing-96-98-Mustang-Cobra-Intake-Plaque

Im powdercoating my valve covers and intake manifold next week. Dont even bother trying to save the Snake Intake plaque. It's nearly impossible to not bend or crinkle the metal plaque when removong it. Just buy a new one.
As far as the Engine Builder plaque goes, i'm going to a local sporting goods store and buying some strong fishing line. I'm going to saw it off (flossing) just like I do on all my other cars. It works perfectly. A clean cut all the way across every time. Maybe even use a drop of lubricant on the fishing line first.

Squirt some "Goo Gone" on top of the badge so it soaks the rear, heat it up with a hair dryer and floss away :)
http://www.cardealerreviews.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/debadge.jpg

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
yeah razor for me too... hahah however dont leave it laying around, Bob McIntyre or whatever his name is, has dog chew marks going right through it lol

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
If anyone couldn't get the engine label off nicely like me, because I went and had my covers powder coated. I made my own out of metal plate which is nicer. Look at my ebay item if you like I can make more in blank like the picture.

Ford Mustang Cobra Engine Badge Blanks | eBay

Looks nice I need one since I used a flat head to take mine off it was faded anyways. Can you forge the signature too? hahaha j/k

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I another guy made repos a while back, they looked fairly decent and matched the originals fairly well/

Users who are viewing this thread