Removing Cats?

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
Loud I can live with, you guys had me worried it was going to run like crap if I gutted them

Jedisalami

Established Member
you can afford your payment but not 100 dollar cat deletes so youll gut your expensive stock midpipe?

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
No payment and ill prob order the deletes, my main concern was the guy that said it would go into limp mode without a tune if I gutted or removed them, I've had several older mustangs with no cats and all it did was throw a cel, I'm going to get a tune soon, I was mainly wondering about how it would run

mazroth

Established Member
Wanted mine to be louder. Longtubes, with or H with the rest stock. Was still quiet.
Now I have cats, gt500s, and deleted the resonators. Much louder. I paid a local exhaust shop to put 2-1/2 409 in place of my resonators. Cost was 165. Why couldnt this be done to the cats? Plus a shop may buy them from you for 40-50 bucks, or a scrap yard would.

Black friday is near, get you a good tune at a discount hopefully.

pohnjarker

Established Member
I also had the Jegs cat deletes but with the muffler delete also, it was loud which was ok but it had a ver loud blatty sound...if that makes sense. i put the cats back on and left the muffler deletes, sounds much better until i go with the GT500 axlebacks.

ETA: I talked to Shaun at AED and asked if i needed a new tune but he said his tunes had that built in to it...just fyi.

scott_0

Established Member
OP, I have Jeg's aluminized cat deletes on my car right now, Ive been thinking Im taking them off because Im over the stinky fumes that I dealt with for years and years back in my younger days. they will be in the market for sale when I take them off this Tuesday, Im looking to $100 shipped for them if youre interested.

old_goat

Established Member
When I removed my cats in a previous car, it stank pretty bad.

sulphur.gif

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Ask Murse he has been running a or xpipe and no tune for awhile he has had no problems I plan on doing the same soon

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
limp mode no cel yes

Wrong.

Do you really think Ford would allow the tune to be the same when a CEL code is thrown? No, of course not. The car goes into a safe mode in order to preserve the motor until the owner can get it to a dealership. The car will still run, but not at an optimial level and does in fact change the car.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
OP, I have Jeg's aluminized cat deletes on my car right now, Ive been thinking Im taking them off because Im over the stinky fumes that I dealt with for years and years back in my younger days. they will be in the market for sale when I take them off this Tuesday, Im looking to $100 shipped for them if youre interested.

When I removed my cats in a previous car, it stank pretty bad.

sulphur.gif

It's because these cars run super fat on the factory tune. That's why they respond so well to a tune leaning the car out to make more power.

The car is already dumping a ton of fuel on the stock tune, take away the cats without a tune,you're taking away the exhaust filter so to speak, therefor it will stink bad. Also, without a tune, the 02's don't know what the hell to do so it dumps more fuel with the CEL safe tune to keep the motor alive.

Anyone who runs one of these cars with a CEL light on for an extended amount of time is no doubt harming their motor.

Risking $6-7k motor to save a couple of hundred bucks on a tune makes no damn sense. :kaboom:

scott_0

Established Member
^^ I see you quoted me above, Im tuned for no cats so..........

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
So basically everyone is saying if I gutt the cats that my car will run like crap, smell like fuel and throw a cel till I get a tune? This is my 5th mustang and I had a lightning before my 2012, all have had the cats either cut off or an x-pipe installed and with the exception of a cel the vehicles ran great. I should wait and save up roughly $700 for the tuner and x-pipe?

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Wrong.

Do you really think Ford would allow the tune to be the same when a CEL code is thrown? No, of course not. The car goes into a safe mode in order to preserve the motor until the owner can get it to a dealership. The car will still run, but not at an optimial level and does in fact change the car.

So do you have any proof of this "safe mode" happening anytime with a car with no cats? Yes it will stink and still throw the same amount of fuel at the cats which won't be needed but safe mode and running bad I don't think so. I could be wrong but it didnt on my 03 cobra I had when I put a xpipe on it.

If you use the antil foulers as stated above the car won't the throwing a cel and be fine.
Just trying to get a real answer. I'm not trying to be cheap just don't wanna tune/void my warranty yet on a brand new car.:shrug:

Last edited:

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
I just got underneath the car and it looks like taking the cats off are going to be a pain anyway, ford made the bolts pretty difficult to get to so ill just wait and do the tune and xpipe at the same time and pay someone a few bucks to put it on.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
I just got underneath the car and it looks like taking the cats off are going to be a pain anyway, ford made the bolts pretty difficult to get to so ill just wait and do the tune and xpipe at the same time and pay someone a few bucks to put it on.

Not hard at all. The passenger top bolt just needs an extension from the top to reach through the engine bay. Seems like by your comments that you don't wrench much! Its easy...all you have to do is try!

Users who are viewing this thread