Removing Calipers, how do you guys plug your brake lines?

mdisalvo85

Established Member
For anyone who has removed their calipers, how did you go about plugging the brake lines? I got one plugged by clamping it, but I don't have another clamp and was wondering if any of you have any other ideas...

69mach03

Established Member
No real need to "plug" the brake line unless the car is going to sit more than say 24 hrs. With enough time, air could run back through the lines towards the ABS pump -- but that's all you have to worry about. Are you painting, replacing, or what??

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I certainly wouldn't crush the lines by clamping them.

If you're painting, just hang them with a piece of wire. No need to get into bleeding brakes, if it isn't necessary.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I'm replacing the calipers, rotors, and pads. Also painting the caliper and caliper bracket while I'm at it. When I pulled the banjo bolt holding the brake line it had a continuous flow of brake fluid until I stopped it so I kind of thought I had to plug it somehow...

The reason I wanted to take the calipers off now is because the new calipers require a core exchange, so they want the old ones and I was hoping to save myself the trouble of another trip (take the old in when I get the new).

Last edited:

69mach03

Established Member
I'm replacing the calipers, rotors, and pads. Also painting the caliper and caliper bracket while I'm at it. When I pulled the banjo bolt holding the brake line it had a continuous flow of brake fluid until I stopped it so I kind of thought I had to plug it somehow...

The reason I wanted to take the calipers off now is because the new calipers require a core exchange, so they want the old ones and I was hoping to save myself the trouble of another trip (take the old in when I get the new).

There is going to be some brake pressure spit some fluid as soon as they are removed from the calipers. Just set up a drain pan while you're doing the work. I have good luck with these slip over black "caps" from an AZ, AA, or NAPA. They'll come in a box with a variety of sizes -- just slip on rubber pieces. Of course, the brake fluid will eat through them eventually, but for temporarily blocking the flow and preventing air from getting into the lines, they'd work good for you. I'd personally do the install, paint what you want, and spend some time bleeding them after you're all done. :thumbsup:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
For anyone who has removed their calipers, how did you go about plugging the brake lines? I got one plugged by clamping it, but I don't have another clamp and was wondering if any of you have any other ideas...

You should consider new brake lines after clamping or "crushing" them like Dano mentioned. I'm pretty sure you have weakened them.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
To keep the mess from dripping out I usually cap mine with the bigger rubber "vacuum caps" from the auto parts store. Smaller caps work good too.

g18033gsw1oy2.gif

Ditto what Dano said, don't clamp them, you'll crush the rubber hose and ruin it.

SVTContique

The fluid will gush out if you remove both calipers at the same time. As long as you have one connected, they will not drip.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I'm gonna replace the stock lines with braided stainless lines...

I remember reading I'll need a flare nut wrench for this...anyone know what size?

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
It may be too late by now, but don't do anything with the caliper pistons until after you disconnect the flare nut. Reason being, if you have removed the cover on the brake reservoir, like the repair manual says, you'll force the fluid all over the engine compartment. It says to remove most of the fluid, and then top it off after the new pads are installed, if I remember correctly. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread