Removing Calipers from Brake line

04torchred

Established Member
I would like to remove my front and rear calipers to prep and paint them with the G2 paint kit. When I disconnect the lines does anyone know of a fitting or cap I can buy to plug the line so the fluid doesn't all drain out?

I figure I will need to leave the calipers off the car for a couple days at least to take my time and sand them, clean them and then apply the paint.

Thanks

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Let it drain. Now's a good time to flush the system and replace with fresh fluid. Make sure you replace all the crush washers with new ones too.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
One is 3/8-24, the other is 7/16-24 (the front calipers, not sure about the rear). Just get a couple brass plugs.

You don't need to remove the calipers - that is the point of the G2 stuff, it can be done on the car. My rear calipers are done in silver to match the powder-coated Brembo calipers up front...

P1020210.jpg

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I would like to remove my front and rear calipers to prep and paint them with the G2 paint kit. When I disconnect the lines does anyone know of a fitting or cap I can buy to plug the line so the fluid doesn't all drain out?

I figure I will need to leave the calipers off the car for a couple days at least to take my time and sand them, clean them and then apply the paint.

Thanks

Tie them up vertically, make sure you bleed your brakes well when you're done to remove the moisture that will get in.

Sent from my phone (no "i" needed).

DocB

Established Member
jrgoffin,

Nice job on the calipers.

How many miles do you have on that car?

That is one clean under-carriage! Also, I like the rubber protector on your jack.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
jrgoffin,

Nice job on the calipers.

How many miles do you have on that car?

That is one clean under-carriage! Also, I like the rubber protector on your jack.

Thanks! At 18,500 now, but I'm anal about the cleanliness - no driving unless a sunny, summer day.

The pad on the jack is made by Prothane. Also have matching ones for the jack stands.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I didnt do my rears yet, as I might just leave em on and paint those. With deep dish wheels, its not as easy for most to peer inside..

FWIW...pull the front caliper and bracket off the car. There is a really good How to Thread I used.....

I would look at and strongly consider to get aquainted with AirCraft Grade Stripper as part of your prep, before paint

95% prep....5% painting, and its all in the prep

I replaced the factory rubber lines with SS Lines, and then flushed my brake fluid with Type 200 DOT 4

2011-10-22_11-15-25_911.jpg

2011-10-22_20-39-57_410.jpg

Blueline

Established Member
I do all my cars with the G2 paint too. I never remove the calipers though. I just take my time with them on the car. But if you do take them off, like they said, great time to flush out the old fluid.

Anabolic

Banned
get the speed bleeders and flush everytime you have the wheels off. lol, make sure sliders are free'd up.. that's next summers project to clean up the undercarriage!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Let it drain. Now's a good time to flush the system and replace with fresh fluid. Make sure you replace all the crush washers with new ones too.
That's a bad idea (not the flush though). If you get air in your ABS system, you'll have to go to the dealer to get the air out.

One is 3/8-24, the other is 7/16-24 (the front calipers, not sure about the rear). Just get a couple brass plugs.

You don't need to remove the calipers - that is the point of the G2 stuff, it can be done on the car. My rear calipers are done in silver to match the powder-coated Brembo calipers up front...
+1 :beer:

04torchred

Established Member
Thanks I will try and sand them and clean the calipers up on the car and then hit them with the G2 paint.

I just figured it would be faster with them all off the car to get a nice paint job.

Blueline

Established Member
I dont use sand paper on mine either bud. I hit them really good with a wire brush and then soak them in the brake cleaner they supply, non chlorinated. Then just brush on the paint. I do a bunch of coats. I also sand the COBRA lettering on the front caliper till its nice and shiny, then put some chapstick or vaseline over it and paint. After paint cures just wipe away the chapstick and the letters look great. You can drive the car for like 24hrs. after applying the paint. GL post some pics when your done.

Users who are viewing this thread