Removing Badges

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Heat gun, but not too much. Just enough to loosen the adhesive. Some people will recommend sawing fishing line back and forth behind the emblem to cut the adhesive, but I would avoid that if at all possible - that's just a great way to scratch up your paint. Just pull the emblem, and then wipe it down with some Goo Gone on a microfiber afterwards to remove the residue.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Sounds like a plan....Ill have to borrow a heat gun from work now

How does the Faux cap get removed? Same way?

03blueslobra

Established Member
You know i can never finish reading anything that alan writes. I get stuck on his avatar for about 30 minutes LOL.:D:beer: . Seriously though i have used goo gone to get behind emblems. Let that eat at the adhesive for a bit and it should come of pretty easy. It helps if it has been sitting in the sun for a bit also.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
If you have a Harbor Freight close by you can pick up a heat gun for around $10. You should dip your emblems :)

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Sounds like a plan....Ill have to borrow a heat gun from work now

How does the Faux cap get removed? Same way?

I did a post with pictures and details about removing the faux gas cap on the other chat site under the DIY section. I'd post a link, but it would get removed.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I'd worry about removing them with a heat gun near the stripes. probably just paranoid tho.
Fishing line cut thru the tape itself and never touched the paint when I did mine.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
Wife's hairdryer works just fine.

This is what I use. Then I put painters tape all around the emblem and use the fishing line and alittle goo gone to keep the line clean. Thats how I removed the faux gas cap. It has four studs/nipples that go through the deck lid and two of them have clips on them and a lot of double sided tape.
This is the only one I've done.

photobucket-30511-1347539631098.jpg

300452_489952917682620_456502915_n.jpg

Last edited:

2Sharpie

Established Member
Alan,
Don't use a heat gun - not needed. Like Tob said - hair dryer is just fine. Fishing line, but when you saw make sure you are pulling it a bit towards you so its no where near the paint (there's plenty of room between the edge of the emblems and car.) A little goof off is your friend too. The rear cap is a bit of a pain due to the rear posts, but the goof off really helped here. Obviously wash and wax after removal and getting rid of the goof off -- I've done all my cars/Mustangs this way with not a single issue -- and I'm super anal with my cars!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread