Remove redline MTL before taking car in for warranty work?

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
I'm taking my car in for transmission issues. The usual 1-2 shift issues. Should I drain the redline MTL I've had in there for the last year and dump the stock fluid I saved back in? I've never worked with this dealer and don't know how picky they are.

Kornilov

Established Member
I was going to come in here to laugh at you OP, but then, I thought twice about what youre saying and yes, it does make sense. Put the OEM fluid back in. That way, if theyre looking at ways to hand the blame on you for a poor performing tranny, they wont be able to say "unauthorized transmission fluid".

hand-filer

Established Member
I would just to be safe. It may help your problem also. The MTL is pretty thick fluid, could be the cause of the 1-2 shift problem.

That's all I've ever run in mine with out issue. A brief experiment with Amsoil MST. resulted in the bearings going south shortly thereafter.
Synchromesh is kind of on the thin side if you're running anything beyond stock power. Redline MTL strikes the right balance IMHO.

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
That's all I've ever run in mine with out issue. A brief experiment with Amsoil MST. resulted in the bearings going south shortly thereafter.
Synchromesh is kind of on the thin side if you're running anything beyond stock power. Redline MTL strikes the right balance IMHO.

It might not be the red line but it is possible. I used to have the same problem, 1-2 shift was a pain. It had the original ford fill and i had the TSB done that put thinner fluid in, problem fixed has been great 50,000 miles.
I will say with the thin fluid it has a notch feeling. I am debating on putting amsoil synchromesh since that is an in between stock thin and red line thick.

Users who are viewing this thread