Remove cats for track days?

sonic cobra

Established Member
I've been tracking my terminator for years and like most, battling high engine temps the last couple years. Burnt exhaust valves at VIR in 2010 so now have LM rebuilt engine with ceramic coated pistons and '05 revised heads, Evans water pump, reische thermostat, larger air dam and partially boxed radiator. Also added Aeroforce guage to monitor IAT2 and a conservative tune with 21* timing that starts pulling 1* at 126*IAT2 incrementally up to total of 6* at 200
First real test will be WGI next month.

Bassani offers an x pipe with cats and a pair of flow tubes to use when cats are out. Seems like a good idea to eliminate all that radiant heat. Has anyone done this? will it help at all? and how much of a pain is it to change out the cats before each event?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't even run cats on the street. I know a lot of places have emission testing, mine does, but all my Mustangs have passed emissions with no cats. I say just get rid of them.

On a another note. How do you have an " '05 revised head " on your Terminator when the 05 heads are 3 valve?

DocB

Established Member
The January 05 revised heads are 4 valve, and a direct replacement for the 03/04 OEM Cobra heads.
The main change is that the coolant passages, especially in the rear of the head, have been redesigned.
Also, more spark plug threads.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I don't run no cats 98dba was recorded at my last auto x I was the 3rd loudest car out there. I've never driven laguna secs but the sound limit there is 88dba so stock
Mid pipe is a must or you'll get back flag. I've noticed that the engine runs a lot cooler with no cats as well

Users who are viewing this thread