Removal of Trunk Lid and/or Faux Gas Cap

RC-5.0

Established Member
Hey all. Just did this so I thought I would post some info. I was able to find all the info I needed in other threads/forums, but not ALL in a single post. Hopefully this will help someone else out some time. Found a local with the same color trunk, a GT stock spoiler AND XM radio (so antenna was on). Wanted to swap with my GT/CS trunk which has the Pedestal Spoiler...the holes are left exposed if I do the GT500 Spoiler swap that I want to do.

Anyway for the Trunk:

1. only need to remove the 4-10mm nuts that hold the lid onto the hinges.
2. there are 3 wire connections to remove..the brake light, the trunk latch, and the XM antenna (if applicable).
3. There are about 4-5 push-in pins that hold the wires onto the underside of the trunk lid.
4. Above assumes you've removed the carpeted underlining of the trunk which is held in by the removable plastic push fasteneres.

For the Faux Gas Cap. (we had to swap since I had a CS cap and he had a V6 Cap.)

Here's what the cap looks like removed and the trunk lid, just to give you an idea what's back there:

IMG_0771_zps5aeaf569.jpg

IMG_0774_zpscfb88fbb.jpg

The 4 pins insert into the holes to keep the cap perfectly lined up when you reinsert.

1. Tape off surround area of cap with blue tape to prevent marring.
2. Heat the perimeter of the cap with a hair dryer to soften up.
3. Insert fishing line though top then bottom in sawing motion. It should go right through till it hits the plastic studs of the cap....mine went through fairly easily. I use 20-lb fishing line, but should been a little bit stronger, around 30, but not any higher.
4. At this point the only thing left holding the cap is the back sticky piece that you see in the photo near the center, surrounding the four studs.
5. work a thin plastic scraper/spatula through to the center, lift up a tad, the move about 1/8 of the way around the perimeter and repeat...this should loosen the center black a little.
6. Repeat above once or twice more until eventually you can work your fingers underneath cap. At this point lift with enough force that you can feel the tape loosening but dont pull up any harder. Move to another area and do the same. Eventually you will feel it come up.
7 Clean cap and trunk are well, put some new 3M tape around the perimeter and reinsert.
8 When removing the cap BE PATIENT....it WILL come up eventually. DONT risk hacking up the area or breaking something.

Total time to swap trunk lids and swap both caps was about 2 hours. Most guys that read this are not switching trunks, but rather removing the faux cap to replace the emblem inside. I believe other places will show swapping the center piece.

Here are the picks of the trunk lid now:

IMG_0776_zps3f634147.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsfbf0bb43.jpg

IMG_0780_zps601a1061.jpg

Before:

IMG_1455.jpg

Going to order the GT500 one later today.

The stock one actually doesnt look that bad. My view in the rear view mirror is about 50% greater.

Hope this helps.
RC

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Hmmm I never noticed that there was an XM antenna. Personally that bump would bug the crap outta me especially if I didnt use it. Aside from that good job on the clean swap. Cant wait to see the GT500 spoiler on too

*edit* I didnt see/read that you had XM already lol

RC-5.0

Established Member
Hmmm I never noticed that there was an XM antenna. Personally that bump would bug the crap outta me especially if I didnt use it. Aside from that good job on the clean swap. Cant wait to see the GT500 spoiler on too

*edit* I didnt see/read that you had XM already lol

It is standard I believe when you bought the GT Premium. Anyway, if you look at the picture of my car with the Pedestal spoiler you can just barely see the "bump thing" under the center of the spoiler. :rockon:
RC

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If you just wanna replace the center emblem though, you really don't have to go through that much work. Depending on the situation. You have two identical faux caps it is ideal to keep the original holding pins intact. If someone wanted to say swap for an emblem pros 5.0 rear badge, they really could just use a plastic/nylon pry tool around the ledge of the inner chrome ring, and pop that off. There would be 5 plastic pins that break off. Then you can just push your thumps into the two holes for the black plastic center badge and it pops right out.

Even if you removed the whole faux cap...you still have to remove the inner ring and center cap the same way.

Just posting this as an add on. Else wise nice!

Users who are viewing this thread