Reminder to be safe out there

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
When I woke up this morning this was on the news as I was getting ready for work. I'm not trying to preach as I may sometimes let my ego get the best of me, but we all could use a dose of reality once in a while.

Fatal mustang race in CA

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
It was probably some 'tard who had a V6 Mustang, thought he was John Force, and couldn't handle the speed. Its cool to race, just know your limits.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTVenom
Its cool to race, just know your limits.

Most people don't know there limits when traveling over a 100.
You can be fully aware but does the person a quarter mile in front of you know your going that fast...No! What if he changes lanes!

Not trying to preach either....Just be carefull.

Also don't race if your carrying "precious cargo" if you know what I mean.:beer:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTVenom
It was probably some 'tard who had a V6 Mustang, thought he was John Force, and couldn't handle the speed. Its cool to race, just know your limits.

I'm not going to flame you for your opinion you're entitled to it. The young man was to turn 19 this friday. And it was an '01 Gt not a V6. If your internet connection can handle it here's a link to the news video, it's about 3.5 minutes

News video

f4sfed

Established Member
AGREE!

Related kill story: Yesterday afternoon I ended up getting lined up at a stop light against a 94 or so Mustang. HAD to have a 5.0, 'cuz I ain't never heard a 4.6 idle like this one. I think it was one of those "we'll wait for the other one to hit it first", and we both think the other one hit it first, anyway he staged about a half car behind me, and when the light turned green we were off! We stayed even up to about 60 which is where I let off, he kept going to prolly about 80 or 90 (yes, there was traffic ahead). So I drive by him, wave and smile, and proceed to get on the highway. Two miles up the highway, there he is! Wantin' to go again! So at about 60 or 65, I hit 3rd and punch it: Does walk him like dog mean anything? I must have had him by 8 cars when I missed 4th. :) (Oops) That's okay, it was over anyway. He pulled up alongside me and said "that's the fastest damn thing I've ever been up against!" I'll tell you what, for a N/A car, he pulled strong in order stay with me from the light up to 60.

Anyway the relation in here is that I felt I should shut it down at 60. That's where I felt it should have ended. The speed limit on that road is 45, so 60 is what people do on it anyway.

Okay, that's it....I'll stop typing. :)

black03SVT

Established Member
Lets keep it on the track people!
There are plenty of 1/4 & 1/8 mile tracks available to us here in cali now.

Peace
Gabe:burnout:

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Originally posted by black03SVT

Peace

Agreed.

I was at a gathering the other night with a bunch of cool people with modded cars, a Turbo Supra wanted to race my Cobra, I offered to race him at the grudge matches at the track. The onlookers were very respectful of my decision.

Tragic to see young people lose their life.

Venom Lover

Established Member
Originally posted by black03SVT

Peace

Hmmmm, I don't know about 1/4 mile tracks....

Pomona -- no more NHRA Street Legal events
Carlsbad -- ultra-crappy and probably soon to be closed
Fontana -- moderately crappy (no traction) and they're closed for the rest of the year
Palmdale -- ok if you don't mind the drive and 2800' elevation

Anyway, I don't condone street racing at 100 mph, but I also can't just go out and race every weekend at a drag strip either.

I agree, once I'm at 15 mph over the limit, I'm usually done unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and the road is deserted. Guess I've turned into an old fart....

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Keep it on the track!

It doesn't make any sense to put other people at risk for your own "fun".

Venom Lover

Established Member
Tetge,

Yeah, I've run at Bakersfield. What a waste of time. On both occasions, it was apparent the track officials totally did NOT have their S H I T together. They say gates open at 8 am, racing starts at 9 am. One Saturday, they didn't open the gates until 9 am, and racing didn't start until 12:30....I didn't get my first run until 2:30 pm. I left after that, but the pace did not pick up, and that was with only about 150 cars there. Don't waste your time!!!

BTW, how did you see the burnout image in my sig? I can't see it on my computer, and I don't know why. I know the server it's hosted on is working, but the link doesn't seem to work from this forum....Anyway, the photo is from Carlsbad 2 Sundays ago. Yes, that's me driving.

--Mike

Last edited:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Is anyone else irritated that they (media in the video clip) indicate that CHP blame this on a movie? There probably is some correlation but I just hate it when sensorship becomes the solution to someones stupidity. How many people here feel the need to go out and do everything they see in a movie or video game or tv? If that were the case then I think the problem would take care of itself as these people would all go out and kill themselves. The tragic part is that innocent people get caught up in it. Look out, the Fast and the Furious Sequel is coming out. Stay off the streets!!! :dw:
Maybe I'm too old. Are today's youth really that stupid?
("I don't know how this could have happened officer. It worked in the video game every time???")

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
That's really sad to see, but I have to wonder what the parents were thinking when they let an 18yo have a 01 GT. Not that you can't hit 100 in a Camry, but people generally don't street-race against those kinds of cars.

If i ever end up with kids, they'll be driving GT's too... a GT with 10mm MAF, a 3000 rpm fuel shutoff and exhaust made out of fuel line.

darkhorse

Established Member
Originally posted by Venom Lover

Hmmmm, I don't know about 1/4 mile tracks....

Pomona -- no more NHRA Street Legal events
Carlsbad -- ultra-crappy and probably soon to be closed
Fontana -- moderately crappy (no traction) and they're closed for the rest of the year
Palmdale -- ok if you don't mind the drive and 2800' elevation

Anyway, I don't condone street racing at 100 mph, but I also can't just go out and race every weekend at a drag strip either.

I agree, once I'm at 15 mph over the limit, I'm usually done unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and the road is deserted. Guess I've turned into an old fart....

Hey mike, I guess N/A means old fart...:lol1:

I think that the race is usually over before the high speed, it is unsafe to continue at high speeds unless there is so much open road. Do you have a lot of that in CA? Where I am there are two tracks within 30 minutes either way so I'm lucky. There aren't any long desert roads though.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread