Reluctant Clutch...

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. I took delivery of my 13' SBY Boss302 #370 about a month ago. She's been a dream to own and drive. One issue that I am having though is the Clutch is really reluctant to come back up after I play around in the 5-7k rpm range.

Example: I was taking a corner in 2nd gear, revs were between 5-7k, I push the clutch in and start to coast because my next turn was up ahead. I choose my gear let the clutch out and notice it is really slow/stiff to return.

Another time I was in first gear, brought her up to redline and shut it down. Put the clutch in and coasted to the stop sign ahead, I begin to let clutch out to take off and it's really slow/stiff on its way up. Mind you there was plenty of time for the revs to drop because I had to sit at this stop sign for a bit. Seems the higher I go in revs the more stiff/slower the clutch is to return.

I know there is plenty of info on these forums about the pedal assembly being a problem (assist spring) and this might be the case, but I also hear there are people actually having trouble shifting because of this problem. My shifts are perfect and the clutch never "STICKS" to the floor. If im shifting at redline there is no problem with the clutch returning between shifts. It only seems to be when I approach redline and then decide to push clutch in to coast, when I let the clutch out again she exhibits the issue. Any thoughts fellas?

svt1111

Established Member
Having the same issue.

Just bought the Joe Heck Racing upgraded clutch line. Supposed to remedy the vapor lock that occurs when temps begin to climb in the slave cylinder and cause the pedal to stick. Havent installed yet, do a search on YouTube for "Joe Heck Clutch line". There is a good video tha explains the benefits of it.

I know there is a member here who did it on his car and reported it solved the problem, coupled with removing the return spring from the clutch pedal assembly.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I've had similar issues with mine, even after having a new clutch put in under warranty and upgrading to Motul 600 in the clutch hydraulics.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Hybred, are you going to try the upgraded clutch line? Have you taken the assist spring out of pedal assembly? If the problem doesn't get any worse I may just leave it alone, but if there is a simple remedy I'm all for it.

Just noticed your in Spring tx. I'm just north of you. Any chance you'll be at the next cars and coffee at Marketstreet in the Woodlands? Got a couple other mustangs going with me. Another SBY Boss,a Roush, and a Cali special. Be nice to combat all the ZL1's at the show!! They had 5 last time.

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
I have #371 SBY, not 370 as erronously posted some time ago, sorry #370.
I have autocrossed mine shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd and did not have a problem.
Will be running it again several times in the next 2 weeks and will be on the lookout.

svt1111

Established Member
Seems the assist spring may be the main culprit.

Many have removed theirs and it remedied the problem.

I'll still try the clutch line in conjunction, but it seems it's the spring.

I wish I knew how to post a link with my iPhone, but if you go to bossforums there is a good thread about it on there. Sorry for the fail!

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Yeah I remember coming across the thread your mentioning. They have side by side pics of a GT500 assembly and ours. I'll have to check it out again.

gkviper192

Established Member
Joe heck high flow clutch line, remove helper spring, MGW and I have never been locked out again or had a stuck pedal.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Hmmm, seems to be mixed results. What's next for those of you that have already tried to remedy the issue? Do you find it's any better with the changes (upgraded clutch line, spring delete, clutch fluid) or is it the same as before?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
hey guys (and Hybred;-)), try upgrading to the 2012 Shelby GT500 clutch pedal assembly. That was the very first mod that I did and I have never had a single problem. I have launched my car 30+ times at the drag strip with mt's and my clutch pedal has been rock solid. I've been cutting 1.6 60's, mid 11's at 123+ with no problems (knock on wood). I also have RP fluid and an mgw shifter as my only upgrades, no problems whatsoever. I hope this simple upgrade will help eliminate your issues :beer:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Hybred, are you going to try the upgraded clutch line?

No. I'm doing a Tremec swap. After 16 days in the dealer's hands and $1200+ in warranty repairs, with no diagnosis and no fix, I'm done with this Chinese junk. Screw band-aid fixes.

Last edited:

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Damn Hybred, that's exactly what I don't want to go through. I wish there was a known fix, instead it sounds like a crapshoot. I guess it's good to hear you like the car well enough to go through the transplant versus selling. I knew I was taking a gamble on this gearbox but it's so much fun to drive, hopefully she doesn't give me to much trouble throughout my ownership. Can't think of another car I'd rather be in at this price point.

LindsayEOD

Established Member
hey guys (and Hybred;-)), try upgrading to the 2012 Shelby GT500 clutch pedal assembly. That was the very first mod that I did and I have never had a single problem. I have launched my car 30+ times at the drag strip with mt's and my clutch pedal has been rock solid. I've been cutting 1.6 60's, mid 11's at 123+ with no problems (knock on wood). I also have RP fluid and an mgw shifter as my only upgrades, no problems whatsoever. I hope this simple upgrade will help eliminate your issues :beer:

How hard is the clutch pedal assembly to install?

gkviper192

Established Member
Dang man.............so much for the theory that the stock clutch is junk. Any signs of slippage at all?

clutch has not shown any slippage at all yet, I am still running stock tires but these p zeros have really impressed me and this car rolls out on stock rubber. I am also running 3.27 gears so first is still useless but 2nd is crazy when its warm and it hooks and no slippage

Users who are viewing this thread