Reload your own ammo

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Does anyone here reload their own ammo? how about casting your own lead rounds? Ive been thinking about getting into this. Any pros/cons?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I've always wanted to do this as it would not only save money on ammo, but it also looks like a fun hobby.
I have been saving all of my fired casings from .223, .270, .303 and 8mm with the intention of reloading them in the future.

oldmodman

Established Member
I've been reloading most of my ammo for 40 years.

I have an RCBS Rockchucker loading ram and around twenty sets of dies.

But the most useful thing I have is a large vibratory tumbler for cleaning the brass. If you do decide to start loading the most important first step is to get that brass clean. Especially the primer pocket.
I clean my brass twice. Just after the primer removal (which I do as a separate step from full length or neck resizing) Then again after the full length or neck resizing to get the case lube off the brass. And you should visually inspect every piece of cleaned brass for an foreign material inside the case and also for any cracks starting in the case.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I've always wanted to do this as it would not only save money on ammo, but it also looks like a fun hobby.
I have been saving all of my fired casings from .223, .270, .303 and 8mm with the intention of reloading them in the future.

yeah recently ive gotten serious about getting into it. It would be nice to have a stock pile of ammo. Also be able to shoot more often. I hate to have to spend $200+ every time I want to shoot for at least an hour+

Just finished watching 4 videos on youtube.com about the whole process.

Last edited:

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I've been reloading most of my ammo for 40 years.

I have an RCBS Rockchucker loading ram and around twenty sets of dies.

But the most useful thing I have is a large vibratory tumbler for cleaning the brass. If you do decide to start loading the most important first step is to get that brass clean. Especially the primer pocket.
I clean my brass twice. Just after the primer removal (which I do as a separate step from full length or neck resizing) Then again after the full length or neck resizing to get the case lube off the brass. And you should visually inspect every piece of cleaned brass for an foreign material inside the case and also for any cracks starting in the case.

Do you cast your own bullets also?

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I reload all my high user calibers. I do not cast my own bullets but I have however cast my own muzzle loader sabots. I wouldn't recommend attempting to make your own jacketed rounds.

Pro's:

1) Savings per round is between 20-30% on most everything I reload
2) Ability to fine tune loads for higher accuracy/potency
3) If you watch natchez you'll catch some really great deals and bring those savings closer to 50%.
4) Plenty of people leave brass laying around so you shouldn't have to buy any of that meaning more savings.

Con's:

1) Initial startup cost is relatively high. The cheap presses are still around $100-$200 and the dies are around $40 per caliber.
2) My savings aren't factoring my time. If you have a nice press you'll load quicker but spend more up front. If you have a single stage you'll spend much more time.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it is a good idea if you shoot a lot, You can also save some money by picking up your brass and selling it back to guys who reload. Then just incorporate what you make back into your next purchase. The starting cost is what has kept me from doing it thus far, but then again ammo will only increase in price so maybe it is not a bad idea.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I can't afford to shoot my big rifle, if I was to buy factory ammo for it. Even using discount online companies (midwayusa.com is my biggest one I buy from) the cheapest is about 80 dollars for a box of 20.. reloading, even only using the brass once (and I reload as many times as safe) and getting factory seconds from Nosler, I can hand load for a little over a dollar a cartridge.. (the rifle in my signature)

Machdup1

Established Member
Does anyone here reload their own ammo? how about casting your own lead rounds? Ive been thinking about getting into this. Any pros/cons?

I reload handgun and rifle and I cast my own .45 bullets. Takes time but drives the cost of shooting down. I shoot .45 for $4-$6 per box.

I only shoot handloads with my rifles (.223 & .308) in competition (highpower, Vintage Sniper and F-Class).

Start by taking an NRA class on metallic reloading. Do not do the trial and error method. Since you will be working with explosives, start by learning safety.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
my dad is pretty big into making his own ammo.he has all the tools and kits, makes everything from .410 shells to 12 guage, .22 to .45 acp to .44 mag. and eveything inbetween. its pretty cool and he has the whole damn office turned into a damn gun room lol after buying the tool and kits, its VERY cheap to make ur own ammo. plus he likes to customize it a littlw with the grains and bullet types.

Jroc

Established Member
I do not reload my own ammo, but being a big 10MM fanboy I need to. Hell even common .45 ACP gets expensive.

Bronze123

Established Member
Lots of info on youtube, and other forums. To be blunt, it cost alot to get started. Only really pays off if you shoot hundreds, or thousands of rounds. It will become more of a hobby then a way to save money.

FastRedPonyCar