Relief from squeaky front brakes

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
As of the past few months, i developed quite a bit of brake squeal in the front brake at low speed stops. First started in the drivers side in humid air, then developed to both sides and became a ear wrenching squeal on low speed stops. Living in the pacific northwest i grew to think it was natural to the area because everyone's brakes squeal here. While i was under the car fixing something else i decided to check the front brakes to see how much wear was on them. To my suprise i found something interesting. Bear with me as i didnt take any pictures yet i will try to explain as best i can. There was more than sufficent material still on all the pads, yet i noticed something off. On the back side of the caliper, towards the doors, eyes inline with the rotor looking out towards the front of the car there is a long and wide silver retaining clip. This clip holds the pads againts the pistons on the calipers. This clip was crocked---> (/) and (\) on the other side. I reset both to be paralell---> (l) on both sides, just have to gently persuade it back to where it belongs, then i used a generous amount of aresol brake cleaner to the inside and outside of each caliper. Best part, guess what? No more brake squeal at all! 100% gone!

Wanted to share this so anyone else experiencing brake squeal could possibly eliminate it. All this was done without having to remove the caliper, only the wheel obviously.

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Black Sex

Established Member
My brakes squeal even with 6900 miles on the car. It does it more so when the brakes are dirty. If I hose them out at the carwash the noise goes away for awhile untill enough brake dust builds up.
I was going to take it to the dealer, but I know they are just going to tell me it's normal or put a new set of the same shitty brake pads on. I think I'll just buy me some ceramic pads from Napa or something. I had real good luck with those on my '04 Cobra.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Squeal is due to harmonic resonance from the brake pads against the rotor. In my case there was uneven tension on the pads, which caused it. Still worth giving this retaining clip a look IMO. 20k miles, original pads....now zero noise

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
Maybe I'll pull them apart and take a peak. Never hurts to look. I just figured it was the dust causing it. If I take them apart I will probably just change the pads anyways becuase I had all the dust they cause.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread