reliability of you 2v

03svt01gt

Established Member
Hey everyone. Was sitting at work bored and stated wondering how many high mileage mustangs are out there. So far mine has held up pretty good. Its a 01 gt. I've ran it down the track atleast 500 passes, have stupidly gone 15,000 miles with a oil change more than once but she's still holding strong at 215,000 hard miles. Only issues I've had is 3 blown plugs but that's a easy fix. Just wondering how many other high mileage cars are still out there?

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Ive got 112k on mine now... not sure if thats considerd HIGH mileage but i beat the hell out of it... ran it very low on oil for a while never blew up... did an ass load of donuts and break stands with it... have had 410 rwhp pushed through it for the last 12k and have beaten the hell out of it on the track and street and still runs excellent... i just cant break the motor lol

GoingHaam

Established Member
Reliability on the 2v is not that great from my and others I've witnessed experiences. actually they boarder line suck. 200k+ problem free miles are rare. just about everyone I know with 2v that has had engine changed one or more times. with mileage as low as 80k.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
When people beat the living shit out of them yeah they wear out, same as anything really. Mines about to roll 90k and it makes me sick to look at the odometer since I'm getting close to triple digits.

yuke175

Established Member
115k here

Had an intake manifold blow out this year but that's the only issue I've ever had

New belt and plugs changed with the new manifold, running great

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GoingHaam

Established Member
from what ive seen around 120k is when reliable issue kicks in... by my standards thats repairing anything that would not be considered basic maintenance. meaning failing fuel pumps, starters, alternators, coils, overheating, sensors, etc. not necessarily the engine itself...

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Engine wise no problems but i must say i have had very bad luck with the break system... had to replace the master cylinder the proportion valve and the hydro boost TWICE not to mention 2 sets of break pads and rotors from the proportion valve not working correctly

Whistler98

Established Member
Mine has been great! Approaching 100,000 and has been supercharged since 2005 I have no complaints. The crown vics at work never seem to have problems, sometimes running 3 shifts and idling for extended hours if not a whole shift.

swedensky

Established Member
My first one had almost 130k when I sold it, no mods and the only thing i experienced were electrical issues.
My second got up to about 107k with normal bolt ons when it developed many problems. by 112k it had an exhaust leak, the filler neck gasket on the gas tank had eroded in one section, and i had two bad cylinders and over heating issues.
My third (thank God) only has 50k miles currently and has 0 issues. but like KLeech, when it gets close to triple digits (if i still have it) that will probably be my time to sell or trade.

CarAudiophile

Suffers from Cobra Envy
Established Member
I don't know.. Mine sits in a garage and only has 60k miles on it. I do think a ton of it has to do with the tune though. They are glass built bottom ends if not tuned correctly.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Coming up on 200,000. No big issues so far. Use is for daily (120 miles a day) and open track use.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
just a few miles short of 22,000 :rockon: no issues no sign of them either. id imagine these engines would have to be somewhat reliable. look at the ex police service crownvics that are now drove hard on the daily as a cab

great maintence goes a long way

Last edited:

02GTnSC

Established Member
im the second owner on mine, had it since it had 2,200 miles on it and it has just over 55k on it now. The only problem I had was the A/C compressor going out and making a ton of noise, other than that its been great.

03MachAB

Established Member
i had one that had over 150k on it. never had any issues with the engine. ran my next one up to 105k no issues. my last one i had till 96k and nothing but issues. and so I'm hoping the mach i just purchased with only 43k on it will be strong for me!

saleensonoma

Established Member
165k and climbing here with nos wet shot. These motors have been around since early 90's and have more than proved there reliability over the yrs. Like any car its abuse and maintenance history that catches up. Ive seen street cars go to the track 3-4 times a wk for 2-4yrs with no issues still running. I will stand by my motor and if it blows its bc of me not the motor itself

Gravik

Established Member
118k on the chassis and around ~55k on the motor.

Only thing I had happen was the battery puked out on me a month ago. But I blame that on a previous owner who got some sketchy, reused battery :bash:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
They are very reliable, I've seen them go past 300,000 miles. If you beat the crap out of it, then yes engines do tend to explode sooner or later. I don't care what car it is.

Users who are viewing this thread