Relay behind glovebox

96dreamer

Established Member
Anyone know what this relay does? it was behind the glove-box on the right clipped to the blower housing. It started clicking erratically a while ago so i just unplugged the relay. Havent noticed anything not working besides cruise control not sure if those two are related.

Also Photobucket not working is annoying as ****...

Attachments

• 20170522_191721_zpsq1imxwzs.JPG
    20170522_191721_zpsq1imxwzs.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170522_191703_zpsxmbrlfbc.JPG
    20170522_191703_zpsxmbrlfbc.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20170522_191656_zpsaurb0i6t (1).JPG
    20170522_191656_zpsaurb0i6t (1).JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Fuel pump relay that is controlled by the PCM. The relay contacts are wired across the resistor in the passenger side fender near the CCRM. When the engine is below about 3200 RPM, the relay contacts are open. This causes the current to the fuel pump to go through the resistor, limiting the current to the fuel pump. At RPMs higher than about 3200, the PCM closes the relay, shorting out the resistor. This puts full current through the fuel pump.

Located in the right side fender well, behind the plastic fender skirt, checking on the part you have above?

The clicking sound is the relay you hear is the two-speed fuel pump relay located behind the glovebox. It comes on at 3250 along with the opening of the IMRC. More fuel flow for the additional air.

Relay with 4 wires in it. 2 of the wires are Green/yellow, 1 is Red and the other white/red. You can rev the engine above 3250 and you should feel it clicking of activate/deactivate. One of the green/yellow wires feeds the PCM at connector pin 40. This verifies what state the fuel pump is being powered at. If it wasn't working you'd get a CEL illumination anyway. You could always insulate it if the clicking is bothering you

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
it wasn't a normal on off clicking and it deffinately wasn't happening at only 3250 rpms. It was spurattic and at times at a very high rate. Its been unplugged now for a few hundred miles with no check engine light. Is this something that can be turned off in a tune to just give full voltage all the time?

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
It's there for a reason, just replace the relay it's only a 8-12 dollar part. I doubt you can turn it off with a tune

96dreamer

Established Member
Thats a negative. Put a known working relay in it and its clicks just as bad ever. Even continuous at times.

97snakebite

Established Member
Damn now that is funny I saw this when I took my Dash apart except for it was just the relay no cables or connectors near it whatsoever. I almost posted about it should have

96dreamer

Established Member
I find it hard to believe ford would put it there for no reason but i also have had no ill affects of having it out for several hundred miles. Not even a check engine light which this is supposed to throw if it goes bad. I have an aftermarket walboro 450lph pump if that matters at all. I even listened to it last night when I hit 3250 rpms to see if it was activating and it didn't seem to be.

@mwolson are you still active on the board, any input?

Users who are viewing this thread