Rekeying door lock

KGcobra

Established Member
I'm in the process of replacing the door lock cylinder and am looking for advice on crimping the tabs of the face cap onto the lock case. I got a new uncoded lock so that I could set the tumblers to work with my existing key.

Now that the tumblers are set, the directions call for using OTC 501-051 as the tool to crimp the tabs of the cap onto the lock case. Does anyone know of an alternative tool or method for crimping the cap on (that won't mess up the appearance of the cap in the process)?

Thanks
IMG_20170213_171302.jpg

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Not what you're asking for, but in the future, Lowes/etc will re-key a new lock to an existing key for free. Hope you get it figured out.

KGcobra

Established Member
I didn't know that they would do that for car locks.
I figure since they would need to open/remove the cap and reinstall it in order to rekey the lock, then they should have the tool to do it with. I'm going to see if they can help me out. Thanks for the idea

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sluggie24

Established Member
Your best bet would probably be to just go to your local ford parts dept and ask them to crimp it for you. Probably wouldn't charge much at all and might even do it for free if you purchase something else that you might need while you're there.

Users who are viewing this thread