Rejected at IL emmiss test - - Not Ready

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Anyone have any insight here?

Says Cat Conv Eff - not ready
Heated Oxygen Sensor - Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor - Not Ready

The car was parked for 4 months, but drove two weeks ago for 75 easy miles.
Battery has been fully charged and not disconnected for a couple years. Tune was flashed in over 5000 miles ago.

The tune is a 4 year old EVO tune that I believe is a Lund tune with rear O2s turned off (EVO said). Only engine mods are 2.59" pulley and JLT cai (and HE).

I am suspecting the rear O2s being turned off in the tune is the problem. Unless, I did not drive it long enough - 15 minutes to the testing facility and 5 minutes idling in 50 degree weather.

They say if it happens 2 more times I have to take it in "for service". Anyone have any problems in IL with rear O2s turned off?

spazpilot

Established Member
Yep I ran into that problem with my Evolution. Had them turned back on and Put an O2 spacer, turned it back on, problem solved. May have to get a hold of your tuner and have him turn them back on.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Interesting! Thanks. I want to get it right before my 2nd try. I have cats and O2s that work, EVO just turns them off, I guess.

Anyone else? Is this new in Illinois?

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
emission

Anyone have any insight here?

Says Cat Conv Eff - not ready
Heated Oxygen Sensor - Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor - Not Ready

The car was parked for 4 months, but drove two weeks ago for 75 easy miles.
Battery has been fully charged and not disconnected for a couple years. Tune was flashed in over 5000 miles ago.

The tune is a 4 year old EVO tune that I believe is a Lund tune with rear O2s turned off (EVO said). Only engine mods are 2.59" pulley and JLT cai (and HE).

I am suspecting the rear O2s being turned off in the tune is the problem. Unless, I did not drive it long enough - 15 minutes to the testing facility and 5 minutes idling in 50 degree weather.

They say if it happens 2 more times I have to take it in "for service". Anyone have any problems in IL with rear O2s turned off?

I passed back in February. If you have cats, just turn the rear o2's on and drive it 2-3 days and swing by a Ford dealer and ask them to hook it up to a scan tool to see if your all your readiness monitors are set. You will pass emissions with up to 1 "Not Ready" readiness monitor. There is a driving technique that helps set readiness monitors, due a search, I believe it is a method of decelerating from highway speeds.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Excellent help guys. I need to have a tuner send me a tune right? Can't be done from the XCAL3?

I will do a search on the driving techniques. Thanks guys!

johnjon87

Established Member
Did you swap your batt recently because sometimes you will have to drive the car a little bit after to switch the comps back on, but if not contact your tuner and he should be able to email you a new tune to pass it

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Definitely O2 sensors turned off. I have had the same issue in Tennessee. Yes, you need to have them turned back on in the tune. One of my 3 tune slots on my XCal III has the O2 sensors on, just for emissions standards when the time arises (once a year).

Problem is, if you are running an off-road midpipe, you will need to change back to your catted midpipe AND reflash your tune. Easy swap on a GT500, even without a lift, but still a hassle......

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
I had this EXACT same problem in Virginia last Fall. To make an incredibly long story short, I could NOT get the thing to pass. I ended up registering it in Florida.

Here is the link for the drive cycle: Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

I would be interested to know if and how you get this to work.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I just got my letter in the mail. I need to run my car through emissions this month. No cats and tuned o2's off.

My cousin works at a shop and said there is some sort of a loop hole that if you fail and present them with a recipt of a certain amount $ of exhaust work they will bump you till the next test

johnjon87

Established Member
I just got my letter in the mail. I need to run my car through emissions this month. No cats and tuned o2's off.

My cousin works at a shop and said there is some sort of a loop hole that if you fail and present them with a recipt of a certain amount $ of exhaust work they will bump you till the next test

let me know if you find out more about this.. my tags are dead and need emissions.. but Im in the same boat 02s are off, but Ive heard Lund can send you a tune to pass.. Im going to email him asap and see what he can do.. If not looks like the car will be garaged at my place down in FL..

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
SCT defaults the O2s to off in the base value file that is used to create all custom tunes. If the tuner doesn't turn them on then you will fail.

OP - just contact Evo and get a file update (as u have cats) once u flash the new tune, do the driving cycle posted above, that should get you passed.

sedanman

Established Member
If his only mods are a CIA and pulley, just put the stock air box on and load the stock tune, should not take to long if it has a off road pipe then he will have to swap that not a big deal.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
SCT defaults the O2s to off in the base value file that is used to create all custom tunes. If the tuner doesn't turn them on then you will fail.

OP - just contact Evo and get a file update (as u have cats) once u flash the new tune, do the driving cycle posted above, that should get you passed.
What about when the Emissions Test reveals that there are no catalytic converters present?

Zac, there is this rule in Maryland. I think it's $500 proof of emissions repair. MACA has had "friends" in the past who have made up invoices for this. A little of a stretch for all parties involved if you get a real zealous emissions person. And hope they don't get on their hands and knees and see their are no cats there.......$500 fine maybe???

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
What about when the Emissions Test reveals that there are no catalytic converters present?

Zac, there is this rule in Maryland. I think it's $500 proof of emissions repair. MACA has had "friends" in the past who have made up invoices for this. A little of a stretch for all parties involved if you get a real zealous emissions person. And hope they don't get on their hands and knees and see their are no cats there.......$500 fine maybe???

I have a family member who's a mechanic, and my cats ate gutted. So it looks like I have cats. Plus every time they use that mirror for the visual inspection they never look at it

Users who are viewing this thread