Reinstalled windows xp and all other drivers, etc but have a problem?

2_wacko

Established Member
My computer got infected with some virus so I rebooted the computer from scratch. I installed all the drivers, utilities etc, but I can not connect to the internet. When I called my internet provider they ran me threw a few steps and found I did not install or have the network adapters. Where can I find this I check all the disks that I used for the reinstall and can not find anything about network adapter.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Is this a pc you built or bought? If it is built, then the motherboard cd should have the onboard NIC drivers for it. If this is a pc you bought then a "restore" type of disk should have the drivers on it. Otherwise, look up the specs for your pc/motherboard, get the name of the NIC and go download the drivers from a website.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
is this a pc you built or bought? If it is built, then the motherboard cd should have the onboard nic drivers for it. If this is a pc you bought then a "restore" type of disk should have the drivers on it. Otherwise, look up the specs for your pc/motherboard, get the name of the nic and go download the drivers from a website.

+1

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
My computer got infected with some virus so I rebooted the computer from scratch. I installed all the drivers, utilities etc, but I can not connect to the internet. When I called my internet provider they ran me threw a few steps and found I did not install or have the network adapters. Where can I find this I check all the disks that I used for the reinstall and can not find anything about network adapter.

If you can provide the make and model of the computer I will look and see what network adapter you have.

While you're looking for drivers you will want to go into the Device Manager to make sure everything else is functioning correctly. You can do this by clicking the start button, right click on my computer, left click on properties, left click the hardware tab, left click Device Manager button.

You will want to look for any devices with a yellow question mark next to them. A yellow question mark will mean either a device doesn't have a driver installed or its not functioning properly.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
^ +1. What computer do you have? Go to your computer manufacturer's support website, and download the driver for your network adapter. For instance, if it is a Dell, then go to support.dell.com. You will see a box for drivers and downloads right there for you to find what you need. Obviously, you will need a computer with internet access, to download the driver onto a blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive so you can install it on your problem computer. Good luck.

2_wacko

Established Member
My cpu is a Dell Dimension 2400 I ordered from dell. I have tried installing all the drivers from all the disks I have, but seems these are not on the disks I have. These are the ones not working properly.

? other devices
? ethernet controller
? Multimedia Audio Controller
? SM Bus Controller

2_wacko

Established Member
My cpu is a Dell Dimension 2400 I ordered from dell. I have tried installing all the drivers from all the disks I have, but seems these are not on the disks I have. These are the ones not working properly.

? other devices
? ethernet controller
? SM Bus Controller

txyaloo

Established Member

? other devices
? ethernet controller
? SM Bus Controller

That computer should have come with a blue cd marked "Dell Resource CD". You'll need to load it and install the cd viewer software. Once the viewer software is installed, you will need to install anything with a check mark next to it. The first thing to install is the chipset driver. That will clear up the other devices and SM Bus controller. Second install the sound drivers, and finally the ethernet controller.

If you don't have the cd, you'll need to get on the internet somehow and download those three things.

Users who are viewing this thread