Regular cab bed cutting for sound system... read inside.

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
Just wondering if any of you guys know where I can find resources on custom speaker enclosures... example.. *flame suit on*.. Cutting the back of the cab and front of the bed for large speakers/boxes.

I've seen it done at a few shows... just don't know what all it entails.

BTW, this is not for me :) Thanks in advance! :banana:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
My dad ported the bed of his ranger long time ago. when he gets home I can ask how he did it.

straightliner1

Established Member
Doing a cut through is a PITA! If not done right you get water leaks inside the cab. I've done a few and always hated them. They are super loud, but irreversible. Everytime I made one, I coated the outside of the entire box in fibreglass resin, sanded it smooth, then had the entire truck bed coated with Line-X. Swapping out the subs should one ever blow was a bitch! It has to be done throught the port inside the cab but that may not be yours or your friend's problem.

Another option and far less invasive is a bandpass box also in the bed with only the port(s) cut through into the cab (port-through).

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Its called porting the bed. I have a friend that did it to one of his dodges. Sounded really good.

It's actually called a blow through.

It's actually really simple. Google search should show quite a few build logs.

Basically, you just cut it with a hack saw and then use rubber molding on the edges.

I wouldnt recommend it unless you are competing or plan on keeping the truck for a while.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Doing a cut through is a PITA! If not done right you get water leaks inside the cab. I've done a few and always hated them. They are super loud, but irreversible. Everytime I made one, I coated the outside of the entire box in fibreglass resin, sanded it smooth, then had the entire truck bed coated with Line-X. Swapping out the subs should one ever blow was a bitch! It has to be done throught the port inside the cab but that may not be yours or your friend's problem.

Another option and far less invasive is a bandpass box also in the bed with only the port(s) cut through into the cab (port-through).

A friend of mine did something like this many years ago at his shop. He basically filled the truck bed with subs, then built a large manifold, sealed it to where the rear window used to be, then put a truck cap over the whole thing (this was in a little Mazda pickup, and I believe he fit 8 or 12 subs in the bed). To this day, it's the loudest system he's done, and the truck won many db drags.

As of recently, we did 4 12 inch subs firing through the midgate in an Escalade EXT. I think my boss sealed it with weatherstripping and something else, but I'm not 100% on that.

Users who are viewing this thread