Regarding the 93 cobra intake....(please come in)

mustang928

Established Member
Where on earth can I verify, if a cobra intake is the real 93 cobra intake ...? I have been looking all over the place with NO luck.:fm:

Here are the #'s on the this intake :

upper #f3ae 9f483 a2a
lower #rf f3ze9k461-bd

Can anyone help me out and tell me if this is the real deal 93 cobra intake?:eek:

mustang928

Established Member
No I don't.... The #'s are from an intake I want to buy, that's why I'm asking if it's a real 93 cobra intake.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
That is a '93 part # (F3...) I will check mine when I get home tonight.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
Are there some fakes I didn't know about?

Le

That's what I was gonna ask...

IF it is a 93, then the inlet is a straight shot. If it is a 94-95, then the inlet has the bent elbow into it.

Some of the very early intakes had a casting ridge or something or other on the driver side of the plenum, I don't remember exactly.

mustang928

Established Member
Has anyone been able to find out if this is a real 93 cobra intake by the #'s? I REALLY need to know ASAP!!

ttt for me!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Have you seen the intake? Does it have the GT-40 style lower (staggered circle holes)? Do you have enough info to know whether it is for a 5.0? Is it advertised as a 87-93 Cobra intake? There are no other intakes made like cobra. Even the new ones you buy from Ford Motorsport are probably going to the "f3" prefix in the part #

I don't have a way to look up part #'s.

Last edited:

93SVT85SVO

Established Member
I do not have corresponding part numbers, but I have seen two different lower intakes that were both "Cobra style" intakes. From the machining guy that I was working with, he showed me the difference between an intake installed from the factory on a '93 cobra and the intake that was sold through FMS as an aftermarket piece.

The factory installed piece had different openings at the head mating surface. IMO, the '93 Cobra piece was better than the FMS intake.

Regards... Tim

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
I have a 93 Cobra upper , part number RF - F3ZE - 9425 - CA .
there are at least 2 different style castings one has the ridge on the side the other doesn't. The part number listed above does not .I always though one stlye came on the production engines and the others were sold as replacements by Ford Motorsports parts?? out of the four 93 cobras I have they all have the ridge cast in. Either one would work fine ulness its for a show car then you would want to be sure you had the correct one . As far as the lower as long as it has the egr hole in the middle it should be fine.

mustang928

Established Member
Have you seen the intake? Does it have the GT-40 style lower (staggered circle holes)? Do you have enough info to know whether it is for a 5.0? Is it advertised as a 87-93 Cobra intake? There are no other intakes made like cobra. Even the new ones you buy from Ford Motorsport are probably going to the "f3" prefix in the part #

I don't have a way to look up part #'s.

No I have not seen the intake(personally).... Just going by what the seller is telling me.

Originally posted by 93SVT85SVO
The factory installed piece had different openings at the head mating surface. IMO, the '93 Cobra piece was better than the FMS intake.

Regards... Tim

How does it differ from a replacement one, though?

Originally posted by cobr96
I have a 93 Cobra upper , part number RF - F3ZE - 9425 - CA .
there are at least 2 different style castings one has the ridge on the side the other doesn't. The part number listed above does not .I always though one stlye came on the production engines and the others were sold as replacements by Ford Motorsports parts?? out of the four 93 cobras I have they all have the ridge cast in. Either one would work fine ulness its for a show car then you would want to be sure you had the correct one . As far as the lower as long as it has the egr hole in the middle it should be fine.

I really appreciate everyones help... Looks as if I going to have pass on the intake.

93SVT85SVO

Established Member
The "ridge" on the upper intake was added to strengthen that portion of the intake due some kind of harmonic issue.

All the FMS intakes had this ridge.

The production Cobras somewhere around #500, had this ridge. Cobras prior that production number did not have the ridge. Therefore about 10% of the Cobra do not have the ridge.

My Cobra is #346, and does not have the ridge.

mustang928

Established Member
Part# you have listed are not valid part #'s

Are you referring to the #'s I listed? I was able to contact the original owner who the seller bought the intake from. He confirmed that it is his 93 cobra #4509.

Here is his email:

"Yup, that's my old one...off my original 93 Cobra."

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
yes I was...Called my local Ford parts dept and those #'s were not valid #'s in the computer system. However the #'s that cobr96 listed were the correct #'s

mustang928

Established Member
Wow... thanks! I also don't believe the intake is an original just going by the numbers. They just don't seem to be correct.

As you stated, the #'s should be similiar to the ones posted by cob96.

Although the original owner says it was the original cobra intake of his 93 cobra.. Reason he sold was because he needed a "better" flowing intake for his set-up..

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Follow-up

I just checked the part number on 2 original 93 cobras , One was #4104 and both have RF-F3ZE - 9425 - CB , Both had the ridge on the side. Same Part number as the one without the cast in ridge except the last letters "CB"(w/ridge) VS "CA"(no ridge).I also check a 95 cobra for the fun of it and it was RF-F4ZE-9425-AC. witch is a complete diff. manifold all together.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by mustang928
Although the original owner says it was the original cobra intake of his 93 cobra.. Reason he sold was because he needed a "better" flowing intake for his set-up..

Yep.. I am probably going to do the same

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Here is a photo of the RF-F3ZE-9425-CA intake the one without the ridge on the side. You will need a mirror to see it on the car , just lay a mirror on the driver side valve cover and look under the plenum. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. I didnt use the flash and didnt have time to go back and fix them.And they are a little big.
image.asp

MVC-820F.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread