Reformed Chevy Guy!!

Bowlegz

Established Member
For starters I just wanted to say hello!! I recently purchased a 2001 Lightning as a replacement for my 2004 Silverado SS, I had always been a fan of the lightning, but was a devoted bowtie man. Anyways, the SS got totalled, and after alot of thinking I finally went for it, and got with the lightning, and man are these things fast!!! So being as though I know nothing about this truck or what it is truely capable of, I hope some of you guys would give me some advice on where to start, and what to do.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Welcome, there are a bunch of great guys on here, that will help out alot. What are you plans for the truck? Most will say Lower pulley, tune, exhuast, FTVB and lower it.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
For starters I just wanted to say hello!! I recently purchased a 2001 Lightning as a replacement for my 2004 Silverado SS, I had always been a fan of the lightning, but was a devoted bowtie man. Anyways, the SS got totalled, and after alot of thinking I finally went for it, and got with the lightning, and man are these things fast!!! So being as though I know nothing about this truck or what it is truely capable of, I hope some of you guys would give me some advice on where to start, and what to do.

glad you got rid of the "Super Suspension" in trade for a "real" sport truck :) :beer:

now wait untill you roll up next to an SS silverado...you will almost be promised a race :)

typhoon43

Established Member
Welcome aboard! The 1st round of mods for 90% of new L owners seems to be a cold air kit, 4 pound lower pulley, 1-step colder plugs, and a Tune. Check out the supporting vendors section and shoot them an email or call and they can whip you up a package in no time. If you think a stock one is fast, wait until you slap a 4 pounder on it. Then save up a few more duckets and grab a 6 pounder and bigger MAF and get ready for some real fun.

2nd round I'd shoot for an FTVB to get the tranny shifts firmer, and some form of axle control like Lakewoods or long bars.

Might as well grab a sharpie marker and write SVT on your biggest credit card. You're going to be using it.. A LOT. :D

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Congrats on the switch to the Lightning. Here's a link that has a lot of good info in regards to these trucks. As already stated, a good place to start with performance mods is with a CAI, a 4# or 6# lower pulley, a valve body for the tranny, a hand-held tuner (Diablo Sport Predator, SCT X-Calibur, etc.), and of course a good tune. I'd also highly recommend a wideband A/F gauge and a fuel pressure gauge... IMO these are the most critical gauges to keep tabs on what's going on with your truck. The AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge has really impressed me. These three gauges will have you covered.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226842

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
I am a previous Lightning owner and now have an 04 Silverado SS, its a LONG story as to how I went from a Lightning to an SS, but, I will tell you that I've had my SS for only 2 months now and am already looking at Lightnings again. Like you, I'm a bowtie man myself and love my C6 vette, but this SS DOES NOT deserve the SS badge. It should have have much more balls in order to sport that legendary badge. You made a great choice!! There are plenty of great folks on this forum that will help you get your truck setup the way you want it.

Bowlegz

Established Member
Thanks alot guys, I'm already over my SS and for me I thought it'd never happen. The lightning simply head and shoulders above it performance wise, the only thing that I would say that I miss is the back seat in the SS, ( My wife complains!) but, hey she has her own ride, and besides that, I'm selfish!! All in all I glad I was able to find the lightning, and know that I will be leaning on you guys a lot for sound advice. Let the games begin!!

01 Cobra

Whine "O"
Established Member
hey man welcome to the site. glad you came to your senses. i've not even made my first payment yet and i've already got a cai, exhaust, and my 4lb pulley kit should be here today.ha ha.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Congrats on getting one of the best trucks every made.
The link Throttle jocky posted is a great place to start reading.
First off set goals at where you want the truck to be as far as power and what its going to take for your wallet to let you.
I have done just about everything and some things twice and all i can tell you is the way i think i should have done it the first time, so hear it goes.
KB 2.3 or Whipple2.3
Pulley combo to make 15psi
SCT maf or Mafia extender
Valve body for the tranny (this mod is great!!)
Catback for a nice sound ( no need for LT's, factory exhaust is very good)
Some sort of traction bars
And ofcourse atleast a water temp, oil press, boost and wideband guages
And last a dyno tune to make it all work

Last edited:

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
Thanks alot guys, I'm already over my SS and for me I thought it'd never happen. The lightning simply head and shoulders above it performance wise, the only thing that I would say that I miss is the back seat in the SS, ( My wife complains!) but, hey she has her own ride, and besides that, I'm selfish!! All in all I glad I was able to find the lightning, and know that I will be leaning on you guys a lot for sound advice. Let the games begin!!

Welcome to the club! I was also a Bow-tie man until I test drove my Lightning. If your wife is complaining about not having a back seat in your Lightning, give her a little action in the back seat of her car.......:-D J/K
My wife was also worried that the Lightning would not have enough room in the cab but once she saw how much space was behind the seat it didn't bother her anymore. Besides, when we need more room we take her Toyota Highlander.

IMG_3415.gif

The $6 Man

Dopetastic K. Shizzle
Established Member
Somewhat same story here (didn't total mine though), sold my 03 SS for my 01 Lightning. This truck likes to steal my money.

Users who are viewing this thread