Reflections on install of Rays Boost Gauge Overlay

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I installed mine today took about 4.5 hours do to my fault. I want to preface this by saying Ray Hilton did a great job putting this together and his instructions are top notch. What an excellent mod that Larryc7777 started!!!!
:thumbsup:

I wanted to give the rest of you some input from my experience so you'll know what else to look for and avoid the mistakes I almost made.

Rays instructions are very detailed and you must follow them but when you get to the point of removing the boost gauge needle be extra careful here. I used the tool that Ray recommends and it works perfect. I made the mistake of not being extra carefull with the tool and ended up prying off the needle on an angle that loosed up the pin inside the gauge that holds the needle. It almost fell into the gauge. What I did to fix is I used a very small needle nose and a small pocket size screw driver. I pulled up on the pin at the same time pressing the little screw driver down on the flat piece that the pin presses into so I could lock it back in.
Be very very careful here.

Also I did not follow Rays instructions concerning the pump tool to calibrate the gauge after the overlay is on. I wish I had. I could not find it at Napa, AZ, Advance. I did not check Sears or Lowes who probably would have had it. Get this tool before you start!!!!!!!

Instead I took the harder route like a dumb ass and used my compressor with the air in the tank reduced to 20psi so I would not damage the gauge with to much pressure.
I tee'd in an adjustable air regulator to the gauge and the boost gauge I borrowed from my sons car. All these connections caused some air leaks that had to be fixed to accurately calibrate the gauge. After quite a bit of wasted time I finally got it right and rechecked it mutiple times to verify.

I had previously taken the gauge cluster out and trimmed off the stop without removing the needle so I had already increased the length of the vacuum hose going to the boost gauge. Make sure that you use some tight vacuum hose and a barbed fitting using wire ties to tighten up these connections so you have no pressure leaks.

As Ray accurately describes in his instructions. The gauge cluster is a PITA to remove from the dash. If you have big hands I feel sorry for you because it is a tight tight fit to squeeze your hand in behind the cluster to unplug the two connectors that are at the top on each end.

One last observation is I used two small skinny pieces of plastic (resembled a popsicle stick only skinner and paper thin, almost a toothpick) to hold the overlay on two edges instead of using my fingers. This allowed me to get the right angle to lay the overlay on exactly in the correct location.

I also disconnected the battery before starting and left my keys in the house as a precautionery measure.

I hope this helps and remember FOLLOW RAYS DIRECTIONS!!!!!

I am seeing about 14lbs of boost at wot.

Last edited:

FlashSVT

Established Member
I am seeing about 14lbs of boost at wot.
What's the maximum boost you've seen w/ the 2.93" pulley?
Where does your boost needle rest at idle and when the car is off?

I was in a rush and didn't have time to calibrate. My needle rests right at ZERO at idle and at WOT the max boost I see with the 2.80 pulley is 14.5 lbs. I may pull it back out and calibrate the gauge later this week.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by FlashSVT
What's the maximum boost you've seen w/ the 2.93" pulley?
Where does your boost needle rest at idle and when the car is off?

I was in a rush and didn't have time to calibrate. My needle rests right at ZERO at idle and at WOT the max boost I see with the 2.80 pulley is 14.5 lbs. I may pull it back out and calibrate the gauge later this week.

I am going on a longer ride tonight to check the boost. The 14lbs I saw was just a quick run around the block after I finished the install.
My needle is resting with the engine off just a hair off the middle of the zero hash mark.
Here is a pic.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Looks great T3! Now, when do I find time to install mine?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I'm just about ready to start this install but can't seem to find the trim tool ray mentions in his directions. T3, where did you come across it?

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
The trim tool I purchased at Auto Zone. I needed one anyway, there are many uses for that tool !!

Just got back from a nice ride. Drove for about an hour so the computer could re-learn after having it disconnected today.

Car ran awesome

Saw boost right at to just below 14 though I would call it closer to 13.5 to 13.75 with the 2.93 pulley.

It's hard to concentrate on it to long when your at WOT.

Don't be in a hurry to install this overlay

:burnout:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
T3 - thanks for the write up of your experience. Sounds like it's a minor PITA, but definitely looks worth it. A class job, for sure.

a94cobra

Established Member
What if you don't calibrate the gauge? I cut the tab without removing the needle, so the gauge would go farther. It only reads around 11psi. I have the 4lb lower installed. Shouldn't the gauge still be correct?

Users who are viewing this thread