Redline heavy shockproof

Myusername

Established Member
Anyone out there use this gear oil for your daily driver? I read it helps with whine and noise. Thoughts about it?
thanks

heart_attack

Established Member
Not sure for a daily. For hardcore racing it's hard to beat imo. Says it will not shear on the bottle. Also 75-250 or 300 cant remember exactly. They make a light weight also.

5lho

Established Member
I used it on my old 2012 for 3 years without issue. I drag raced the car every chance I got. It was a bit tough on the plates in the diff, producing a bit more dust on the fill plug mag than I would have gotten if I'd used a lighter oil and needing an occasion fish oil innoculation against chatter. It is really inteded for full drag race cars with spooled rears. Fantastic protection for the more expensive hard parts under extreme use, though. For a daily, I might suggest their lighter duty shockproof instead.

Last edited:

Myusername

Established Member
I used it on my old 2012 for 3 years without issue. I drag raced the car every chance I got. It was a bit tough on the plates in the diff, producing a bit more dust on the fill plug mag than I would have gotten if I'd used a lighter oil and needing an occasion fish oil innoculation against chatter. It is really inteded for full drag race cars with spooled rears. Fantastic protection for the more expensive hard parts under extreme use, though. For a daily, I might suggest their lighter duty shockproof instead.

Do you think it would have been better if u used the friction modifier in the beginning for the dust?

5lho

Established Member
Do you think it would have been better if u used the friction modifier in the beginning for the dust?

I did.

It eventually needed a couple more oz to quiet down the LSD though 2 oz initially calmed it down. The emerging noise was due to day to day wear.

JDos1

Established Member
Been running heavy shock proof for over 70k miles now. No issues. My 3.73's have always whined, had 4 sets put in under warranty and still couldn't get it quite. HSP didn't really help with the whine either. No issues though running HSP as a daily. I put a full 4oz bottle of FRPP friction modifier in when I did the fluid swap and have had no chatter.

Myusername

Established Member
Been running heavy shock proof for over 70k miles now. No issues. My 3.73's have always whined, had 4 sets put in under warranty and still couldn't get it quite. HSP didn't really help with the whine either. No issues though running HSP as a daily. I put a full 4oz bottle of FRPP friction modifier in when I did the fluid swap and have had no chatter.

That's good to hear. I have some coming in the mail. Hopefully after I reshim and add the hsp it will be tolerable after. Thank you all for your input!!

DTL

Established Member
I've used it for a number of years, since it's recommended for the Wavetrac diff I run. The only downsides are the high cost, and my rear end guy (that does my gear setup, etc.) complains about it. Apparently it's real PITA to clean off of parts. I guess that's a good thing??

5lho

Established Member
That stickiness is what led to needing the additional FM in my case. HSP is so thick and sticky it has a tough time getting into the plates of TL diff. Just a theory but, I did see additional metal and plate wear from the diff on the fill plug. definitely no gear wear though, that's for damn sure, that stuff hung on like axle grease. It is a cast iron bitch to clean out, for sure.

Slow Five-O

Established Member
Loved it in my fox. Used lightweight shock proof and it was great. I could definitely see why your rear end guy hates it though. It coats EVERYTHING nicely. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meld

Established Member
I've mainly used Amsoil and have used Redline heavy in the past with my EVO. Can't go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread