Red Light Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT04

Established Member
I posted this in the Roadside Pub , but then realized that the Donut shop would be appropriate too since there are undoubtedly some law enforcement members here who would try to claim this wasn't true and that the cameras were for safety :lol::lol:

A while back there was some talk here regarding red light cameras and how to avoid being ticketed.

I spoke up about how the cameras were mainly for revenue generation and how they lead to increases in rear end collisions from drivers trying to "panic stop" to avoid a ticket. I maintained that the cameras had little to do with safety and I still maintain that position.

I was chastised here by many self righteous types who called me stupid, sent me personal messages claiming that "you are just a dumb Canadian etc."
All trying to tell me how wrong I was....

Well seems I wasn't so wrong after all....they were even adjusting the timing shorter than the time needed to safely clear an intersection (amber light dwell time) to increase revenue.

Here is the link ..http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nal-trend.html

And here is what the article says about Lubbock TX

In Lubbock, city council members eventually deployed red light cameras in the summer of 2007 after completing a series of timing tests at all twelve of the intersections scheduled to receive the cameras. As of February, 2008, however, the cameras are came back down. While the cameras were initially credited with reducing the total number of crashes in Lubbock by 5.5 percent, rear-end crashes at the intersections in question rose 90 percent. The cameras also failed to generate sufficient revenue while they were deployed in Lubbock, which undoubtedly contributed to the city's decision to can the program.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
No question for L.E. Simply placed here to be argumentative.

Dont post here with the intent to start a flame war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread