Recommended preventative check for recently made Cobras

CaliCobra

Established Member
If you have a very recent vintage Cobra, you may want to make sure that your main wiring harness is corretly located and secured to avoid damaging any wires.

On mine, I noticed that the main harness that normally runs along the firewall under windshield cowl and to the driver's side fuel rail was pretty far out of place and not using its pushpins to secure it in place. The harness was laying over my EGR valve and had been squashed between the hood and EGR valve as well as being stuck between the engine and the sharp edge of the drivers side mounting tab for it. Luckily I saw this with only a couple hundred miles on it before the tab got a chance to cut thru the harness or collapse the EGR vacuum line. So no damage, only minimal abrasion on the harness and hood blanket.

I went to a local dealer to see where it should be routed, and sure enough, the Cobra I looked at for locating mine (made early March like mine) did not have it's in right either. Its harness was at least close to where it belonged, but was not secured in place.

In both cases, the black drivers side push pin taped into the harness was laying over top of the silver heat shield for the vacuum line bundle near the throttle cable bracket. All I can figure is that this gets put into place last during underhood work at the factory and they forget to place and secure them on occasion.

The attached pic shows the section of harness and mounting tab location, which has a hole in the center to push the pin thru. This is where everthhing shoud be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread