recommended performance springs

marcoc

Established Member
Currently I am running chopped oem Cobra coil springs. The ride hight is perfect. I installed Tokico Blues on the car to replace the tired original shocks/struts and the handling is good on a smooth road but as soon as it gets bumpy or any slight dips in the highway there is too much " bounce" or rebound after I hit a dip for example. I have bottomed out a few times on the front lower sway bar. So I decided to do research on performance springs. I have had experience with Eibach on other cars and they were pretty good. I see H&R is very popular on mustangs as well. I enjoy a spirited drive on curvy roads and if the car is a little stiff that's fine, it's not a luxury car nor daily driven. Handling is one reason why I enjoy the IRS in the Cobra so looking at making it better. Any experience with any spring would be great. Thanks.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
I'm running stock springs, but all roads seem to point to H&R Race springs.

The roads where I live are absolutely terrible so I don't plan on lowering the car until I move, but I think I'll be going with the race springs on my car and the FTBR bushings.

zPipes

Established Member
I think your two major options are Eibach or H&R, with H&R a slight favorite. I run eibach. I was getting too much droop as well in the rear, not bottoming out, but I put some koni yellows and that pretty much subsided.

MickeyD

Established Member
I run the H&R Race springs and do like them, I am also running the Tokico D specs. I do get some of the rebound that you mentioned though, this mainly occurs when I'm on a highway and am hitting the gaps of the concrete slabs. I may just need to adjust the shocks for when I'm on the highway but I don't take the Cobra on many highway trips. Overall I think the H&R Race springs are good though, a nice lowered ride height without being slammed.

marcoc

Established Member
The slammed look is great if the roads are nice. Here in the northeast they are far from perfect. I want a closed fender gap but a firm ride to give positive handling. Our 99-01 Cobras are great handling cars and I want to modify it in a positive way. Looking at a reputable company like Maximum Motorsports they recommend H&R race springs on our cars. I don't want a luxury car ride, its a muscle car but I like my stance now. I am about 1.5-1.75" lower but the handling is "soft" and "spongy". Right now I am leaning towards H&R race. 1.5" drop, aggressive spring rate, not too low, and hopefully get rid of that "float" feeling over bumps.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If you have shit roads you really don't want the race springs.

The pro-kit is about the best ride with decent (But not the best) drop and decent performance.

lilbuddy

Established Member
I have Eibach springs on mine and it's bouncey. At least 2-3 times a day when driving I hit a spot and something in the back rubs, not sure if it's the tires/bumpstops or the exhaust hitting the ground.

I might look into shocks, not sure what the previous owner put on.

Charged99

Established Member
I run h&r ss springs. Love the stance it gives :)

+1

I'm running no ISOs. Has a perfect drop. I've heard a lot of people complain about eibachs being to soft and scraping if u hit a big bump. I haven't seem to have this problem with the h&rs

Users who are viewing this thread