Recommended idler pulley kit to replace factory idlers

digital911

Established Member
Can ya'll recommend a good brand idler kit that comes w/ all idlers necessary AND are same size as factory (so I don't need to change my belt size)? One of my factory idlers is making strange noise when rotating, so I assume the bearing is failing. Just a matter of time before the others go as well. So I want to be proactive with it.

Also, does anyone recommend a specific tensioner? The OEM one I have is made out of very soft metal, and when you insert a ratchet to pull the tensioner down to change the belt, that square hole is getting stripped on mine. I was looking to replace it w/ something better if I was going to replace it. I might a well if I am putting all new idlers on there. I already own a 90mm Metco dual bearing aux idler (mounts immediately to the right of the SC pulley). This piece is still good, no need to replace.

ctgreddy

Established Member
well since you want stock size and already have a metco aux idler, I'd just order 3 90mm idlers from metco. They'll match the aux idler you already have and should result in needing the same belt.

As for tensioner the best is supposed to be thumprrr. However I've also heard good reviews about the upr piece which is cheaper. With all that said, I have a stock tensioner and if you're careful when ratcheting it, it'll last forever. I've had my belt on/off countless times and the square is still in excellent shape. So if you dont need any extra tensioner force and want to save some money a new stock unit would be fine.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I have the UPR tensioner and had to get extra washers to shim it out further. It would cut the outer rib completely off. Haven't had any issues since adding the extra washers.

Users who are viewing this thread